Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

Now posting from Linux! - Page 2

Re: Now posting from Linux!

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2009-12-15 19:06:39
I'd suggest not bothering. I left all my music/ROMs on my Windows partition (for the time being before I get myself an external hard drive or something) and it works fine.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-12-15 19:37:26

I'd suggest not bothering. I left all my music/ROMs on my Windows partition (for the time being before I get myself an external hard drive or something) and it works fine.
What about programs? I think I'll just move those. But how should I go about getting them onto the panel thing?

Date: 2009-12-15 20:27:57

What about programs? I think I'll just move those. But how should I go about getting them onto the panel thing?

1) Use Wine
2) You have to edit them into the menu manually

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-12-15 20:35:22
Windows programs may or may not run in Wine. I believe you can simply drag them onto your panel. If you want to put them in your menu, you can access the menu editor by right-clicking on the menu and choosing Edit Menus.

Unless your Windows apps are games, you should probably not think about running your Windows apps in Linux, but rather of finding native Linux equivalents.

For MSN/WLM, Pidgin works. Empathy (which comes with 9.10) also works I think but I don't use it often. If you want something closer to the "real deal" check out aMSN. Pidgin and aMSN can both be installed through Synaptic (System menu -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager)

For WMP, if you're playing music look into Rhythmbox (which is included with Ubuntu). Songbird is also supposed to be good but I've never used it. For video, the included Totem movie player seems to work fine.

For MS Office, check out Open Office (which comes with it by default) which can open and save MS Word and Powerpoint files. OO Writer can also export PDFs.

Ubuntu comes with Firefox, but you can easily install Opera or Chrome (dev build). There are ways to get Internet Explorer (6 or below, although some people seem to get 7 to work as well) running with Wine, but I don't recommend it. Safari will not run in Wine (I've tried).

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-12-15 22:31:25
Office can go get shot for all I care, all I keep getting for both of my system are failing updates, my XP has about maybe 6 and neither will install, even though Office was restored on my XP after the death screens (had to have it wiped again, and Windows reinstalled), since I got a shit load of music on my XP (a lot it was from my HP's Hard Drive from my old laptop), since most of my friends use like Facebook/Bebo but they're not my sort of thing so I use WLM to keep in contact with them. I bet IE 6 is more stable than IE8, but what about website links will they have to be saved again?

Date: 2009-12-16 06:36:01

Windows programs may or may not run in Wine. I believe you can simply drag them onto your panel. If you want to put them in your menu, you can access the menu editor by right-clicking on the menu and choosing Edit Menus.

Unless your Windows apps are games, you should probably not think about running your Windows apps in Linux, but rather of finding native Linux equivalents.

For MSN/WLM, Pidgin works. Empathy (which comes with 9.10) also works I think but I don't use it often. If you want something closer to the "real deal" check out aMSN. Pidgin and aMSN can both be installed through Synaptic (System menu -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager)

For WMP, if you're playing music look into Rhythmbox (which is included with Ubuntu). Songbird is also supposed to be good but I've never used it. For video, the included Totem movie player seems to work fine.

For MS Office, check out Open Office (which comes with it by default) which can open and save MS Word and Powerpoint files. OO Writer can also export PDFs.

Ubuntu comes with Firefox, but you can easily install Opera or Chrome (dev build). There are ways to get Internet Explorer (6 or below, although some people seem to get 7 to work as well) running with Wine, but I don't recommend it. Safari will not run in Wine (I've tried).
I've already installed Chrome. Anyway, the Windows programs I was using included Sony Vegas 9.0 (video editor), Unregistered HyperCam 2 (screen recorder), all the DVDVideoSoft programs (YouTube downloading and video convering), FirstClass (school-related, and it seems to work), and Audacity (sound recording and editing). I'd also prefer iTunes over the other music/video programs for the ability to sync with my iPod. I'm going to try running them, but if they don't work (I believe one of the above programs didn't) I will try to find equivalents. Also, is there any way to access the Ubuntu files from Windows? I know I can access the Windows files from Ubuntu.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-12-16 16:14:12

Bingo. Just found it (or at least some of it) in /host.

Ah, here it is. Are you using Wubi? That would explain the name of the folder.

Its true that you probably wont have trouble leaving your files there, but I would recommend moving them anyway, or at least copying them, because /host is probably formatted as NTFS (the Windows native filesystem) and may not always work perfectly with Linux.

VLC is also a good choice for video. In my experience, it plays just about any video file. I use MPlayer, but you may not like that MPlayer has no GUI.

Anyway, the Windows programs I was using included Sony Vegas 9.0 (video editor), Unregistered HyperCam 2 (screen recorder), all the DVDVideoSoft programs (YouTube downloading and video convering), FirstClass (school-related, and it seems to work), and Audacity (sound recording and editing).

Audacity is available natively for Linux. I use the commandline program youtube-dl for Youtube downloading (useful since I dont have Flash installed).

Also, is there any way to access the Ubuntu files from Windows?

Windows doesnt understand Linux filesystems by default, but you might be able to install a driver (with e.g. Ext2 IFSthough I dont know if it works with Ext3 or Ext4, which might be the defaults for Ubuntu).

Date: 2009-12-16 19:24:12
(note: any programs I mention here can be installed in Synaptic)

the Windows programs I was using included Sony Vegas 9.0 (video editor)

Check out Cinelerra or Kino.

Unregistered HyperCam 2 (screen recorder)

Check out Istanbul, which is free and open source and (as a plus) doesn't put an annoying watermark on your captures.

Audacity (sound recording and editing)

Available for Linux natively.

I'd also prefer iTunes over the other music/video programs for the ability to sync with my iPod.

Welcome to vendor lock-in. For the record, Apple considers it illegal to even try to sync your iPod with a third-party app… You're better off just using a normal MP3 player (that you can drag-and-drop to and from using a file manger. Apparently Apple has a vested interest against using the standard USB MSD interface…?), but since you already have the overpriced Apple gadget it'd be pointless to ditch it. gtkpod can reportedly sync with an iPod.

Also, is there any way to access the Ubuntu files from Windows? I know I can access the Windows files from Ubuntu.

IIMarckus pointed out ext2ifs but I had problems with that when I tried it. The best approach would be to keep files on a separate partition (FAT32 or NTFS) than your OS, or preferably on an external/portable HD (which is what I do, and it's kept my data safe across numerous machine breakdowns and OS reinstalls). This thing might work, but I haven't tried it.

Date: 2009-12-16 19:29:38

I'd also prefer iTunes over the other music/video programs for the ability to sync with my iPod.

Welcome to vendor lock-in. For the record, Apple considers it illegal to even try to sync your iPod with a third-party app… You're better off just using a normal MP3 player (that you can drag-and-drop to and from using a file manger. Apparently Apple has a vested interest against using the standard USB MSD interface…?), but since you already have the overpriced Apple gadget it'd be pointless to ditch it. gtkpod can reportedly sync with an iPod.

If you can get gtkpod to work, I tip my hat to you. As we speak I'm going to attempt installing iTunes from within Wine because that seems to be the only option.

Date: 2009-12-16 19:37:16
Try to get iTunes 8. On Wine appdb iTunes 8 has a "silver" rating, 9 has "garbage". As for gtkpod I can't really help with that as I have no iPod to test it with (in retrospect, one of the best decisions I've made with respect to purchasing electronic gadgets in both a financial and technological sense)

Date: 2009-12-16 19:59:06
Alternatively you could put Rockbox on the iPod so it can be treated like a normal USB disk. (Note: I have never used Rockbox.)

Date: 2009-12-16 20:10:06

6th generation Classic: Not supported. The 6th Gen Classic has completely different hardware compared to the other "classic" iPods, requiring a new port.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Date: 2009-12-17 08:42:23
Thanks for all the help guys, but I don't know if I want to keep using Linux because XP is so much faster.

Date: 2009-12-17 12:45:27

Thanks for all the help guys, but I don't know if I want to keep using Linux because XP is so much faster.

You mean the user interface? Yeah, GNOME (the default in Ubuntu) is pretty slow. You might want to try installing XFCE/xubuntu-desktop instead. Or even better (IMO), something like Fluxbox, which is much more lightweight, and very easy to customize.

Date: 2009-12-17 19:30:40

Have you installed proprietary drivers for your video card? That might have something to do with it.