Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

UPDATEDTV Tuner Hell (or: Why MCE's and QAM/ATSC/the cableco's limitations suck) - Page 1

UPDATEDTV Tuner Hell (or: Why MCE's and QAM/ATSC/the cableco's limitations suck)

Posted by: MissingNo
Date: 2009-12-26 19:59:17
As I sit here listening to Royksopp's Happy Up Here to calm my nerves down, I might as well share my displeasure with Windows Media Center and the fun of Live TV setup gone awry.

To start out: My Media setup consists of an XBox 360 Elite used as an extender (the primary interface for the entire setup) and a Dell Optiplex GX270 running Windows XP Media Center Edition. I'm trying to get the Dell set up in such a way to serve media to the 360 along with live TV to view from the bedside LCD panel designated for the 360.

I've gone through three capture devices with a forth on the way - that I made a mistake in ordering and has to go back after I receive it - and then a fifth receiver.

To go in order of why they don't work…

Pinnacle DVD "Recorder", aka a regular old capture card - verdict: NO
This is a simple device I had connected to my VCR with an IR blaster to hope to use it as a Media Center tuner. "TUNER NOT RECOGNIZED", the magical box said. I'm sure Linux might have better support for IR blasting + manual capture devices, but they don't work with the Extender functionality I need.

eBay Special: the $13 TV tuner from China - verdict: NO
With the included application, it doesn't even lock onto the proper cable frequencies. Media Center testing not worth it nor would it probably work.

Hauppauge WinTV 878 series tuner - verdict: NO
This took me over 5 hours to set up. Why? Media Center expects to see a hardware encoded TV capture device, not a software-based one as most Hauppauge products are. Media Center was a massive kludge: install drivers, manually extract some "SoftPVR" application and register a module manually, hook it all up and hope it works.

It did.
Barely.

Audio? What audio? I had to connect speakers directly to the tuner card for audio output when using my Extender. Changing channels? What a joke - it locked up both ends.

But with WinTV2000? Sure, it works. But on the PC, not my Extender.

HDHomeRun single-tuner networked receiver - verdict: HDFoulBall (no.)
THIS is the greatest @#$@ up I've made so far buying this $98.99 pile of heaping crap. Why? ATSC and QAM tuning only - no NTSC analog TV tuning, which I need.

Because the ever-so-lovely cable companies do not like unencrypted QAM - or any form of user freedoms, I cannot use this tuner that I've ordered - unless I want two CBS channels and 4 PBS channels. And 7 OnDemand channels that don't work with the box anyways.

Although, if you have a lot of OTA HD channels and such, I do recommend picking up one of these or a dual-tuner model: they're designed for multiple Media Center machines to use the tuners at the same time - since it IS operated over the network. 15Mb/s a stream, take note of that.

Yep, no warning from RadioShack that it doesn't pick up *every* channel I normally would get - and I can't cancel the order because it's already pulled in the warehouse.

Meaning… I've got to wait up to a week for it to get here, another few days returning it, and then finally going in the store to buy another tuner.

Update: Yep. Just as I expected. Lots of encrypted QAM channels (thanks TWC) and only 14 available unencrypted. AKA… PBS and WWNY/CBS/FOX.

Still waiting on my RadioShack refund.

Hauppauge (ugh) WinTV 850 USB Tuner - verdict: UNKNOWN
I'm going to end up returning the HDFailRun for this tuner - again, from Radioshack.

I have no idea if it'll work properly for the needs, but I sure hell hope it does - I'm getting sick of setting this damn thing up as it stands.