Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

Wine dislikes Guild Wars - Page 1

Wine dislikes Guild Wars

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-12-29 13:55:12
Okay, this version of Wine I have is unstable. My game loads, but it's extremely laggy as hell, and if I minimize, it doesn't minimize properly. I can't seem to find the version of Wine that the Guild Wars minimizing bug was fixed, what can I do to increase the games performance, even though I have turned down the graphics down to low as possible.

Re: Wine dislikes Guild Wars

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-12-29 17:27:20
Looking it up on winehq, it gets a platinum rating on kubuntu(Which is a fancier version of ubuntu), so it should work just fine.
Though there are a few bugs listed recently saying guild wars is incredibly slow and it has a minimize bug, so it may have been the newest release of WINE

Date: 2009-12-29 20:22:15
If this other version is for paying people then I'd say no go. My PC hates Guild Wars, but Wine makes the graphics look terrible. The characters look fine other than the bright colours, the background is almost like a Windows 98 color system, (like Colors 16-bit), and it's so laggy it's almost like the game's in slow motion. I'm stuck on my PC (that still fails to connect in Linux), yet it GW is fine on Vista, but Wine doesn't agree with it. If others want screenshots on what I mean, with the bad colors, then I shall get them.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-12-29 21:49:35
What is your CPU and ram?
Also, pictures would be nice

Date: 2009-12-30 15:14:53
I have a lot of RAM on my computer, but it just locks up when Guild Wars is left on. Here's from Linux and Vista:

Linix - Guild Wars:
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy170/KrystalDragonSin/CharacterSelect.png

(I can only get pictures from the character select screen, as the game gets stuck at the loading screen on Linux- Wine.)

Windows Vista - Guild Wars:
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy170/KrystalDragonSin/gw004-1.jpg