Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

Odd turn of events - Page 1

Odd turn of events

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2012-12-19 21:51:38
So I come home from college for winter break and I wanna play video games right, since I haven't played them in ages. I break out my Game Boy SP and turn on Emerald. And apparently the internal battery has run dry, but the game can still be run. What EXACTLY does this mean? I know it says clock based events no longer occur…
Did this happen because of age? That's what I'm guessing.
This also happened with my Silver version, it doesn't save anymore which is quite depressing. At least my Crystal has made it this far. Anybody else have depressing stories like this?
And I also came home to find out the batteries in my Game Boy Color (w/Crystal) corroded? I'm not really sure if that's what happened but that's my guess. It's never happened to me before. I took out my Game Boy out of my bag, and there's white powder (DRUGS) battery springs. And it smells like something I've used in Science class. I cleaned it out with q-tips but it still smells a bit. :|
Just figured I'd explain that all here, and see what you guys think.

Re: Odd turn of events

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2012-12-20 04:51:16

And I also came home to find out the batteries in my Game Boy Color (w/Crystal) corroded? I'm not really sure if that's what happened but that's my guess. It's never happened to me before. I took out my Game Boy out of my bag, and there's white powder (DRUGS) battery springs. And it smells like something I've used in Science class.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100106202622AA8sWAb
Snort a line of that shit

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2012-12-20 11:57:24

So I come home from college for winter break and I wanna play video games right, since I haven't played them in ages. I break out my Game Boy SP and turn on Emerald. And apparently the internal battery has run dry, but the game can still be run. What EXACTLY does this mean? I know it says clock based events no longer occur…
Did this happen because of age? That's what I'm guessing.
This also happened with my Silver version, it doesn't save anymore which is quite depressing. At least my Crystal has made it this far. Anybody else have depressing stories like this?
And I also came home to find out the batteries in my Game Boy Color (w/Crystal) corroded? I'm not really sure if that's what happened but that's my guess. It's never happened to me before. I took out my Game Boy out of my bag, and there's white powder (DRUGS) battery springs. And it smells like something I've used in Science class. I cleaned it out with q-tips but it still smells a bit. :|
Just figured I'd explain that all here, and see what you guys think.

Batteries done dried up and in your GBC's case, busted.

You *can* replace the batteries yourself (I'd recommend getting a guide online) and as for Emerald, it saves via Flash memory so the battery dying only affects the clock, unlike Gen 1/2 which relies on the clock for ALL saving.

Posted by: Don Watermeleon
Date: 2012-12-22 00:29:07
Are you having any issues besides berries simply not growing? I know this was a common occurrence in Gen III, where after 100 hours of gameplay or a year of owning the game, the internal clock would break and your planted berries would no longer germinate. But besides the minor inconvenience of shutting down your monopoly on berry farming in Hoenn, this glitch didn't normally have any other adverse effects on gameplay.

Of course I probably have no idea what the hell I'm talking about, since I haven't really touched a Pokemon game since Gen IV and sometimes forget that Blue Eyes White Dragon isn't the Legendary from Pokemon Silver, but if this is your only problem you should be good to go. Can you save alright?

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2012-12-22 03:26:05
If I remember correctly, there is a "Berry Glitch Fix" or something along those lines in one of the Generation III games.
Maybe it was Colloseum. I'm not too sure.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2012-12-22 22:55:41

If I remember correctly, there is a "Berry Glitch Fix" or something along those lines in one of the Generation III games.

The berry glitch is different. It is a software bug that can be fixed by connecting an affected Ruby/Sapphire with FR/LG or Colosseum.

This is a hardware issue: the battery that runs the RTC is dead. As a result, the RTC doesn't tell time, and no time-based events happen. No way to fix it other than replacing the battery (which shouldn't be that difficult really).

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2013-01-08 17:21:09

The berry glitch is different. It is a software bug that can be fixed by connecting an affected Ruby/Sapphire with FR/LG or Colosseum.

This is a hardware issue: the battery that runs the RTC is dead. As a result, the RTC doesn't tell time, and no time-based events happen. No way to fix it other than replacing the battery (which shouldn't be that difficult really).

actually from my experience the only hard part is opening the fricken cartridge. just a little hint to people trying to hardware hack/refurbish nintendo consoles or pretty much anything made by nintendo, they have a special type of screw which can only be used by a special kind of screwdriver. They sell it at amazon, but if you want to save money you can make-shift one from melting a pen I hear, but i've never gotten it to work.

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2013-01-09 20:38:24
Game bits are very cheap, and even some online stores allow you to buy watch batteries for Gameboy games and other carts too along side the game bit. So once you buy the game bit and batteries, you can open up the cart, take out the dead battery, and add a new battery using electrical tape to hold the battery in. I have never got the pen trick to work either… :\

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2013-01-10 11:13:35
I don't think I'm gonna change it, I don't wanna spend the money plus I'd probably mess it up. I don't mind playing without the clock in Emerald. It's not like I've been playing it a lot recently anyway, I'm just keeping it around since it's the only GBA game I still own.