Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

soft mod consoles - Page 1

soft mod consoles

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2013-01-08 17:46:00
it's amazing how much information is on the internet. Just a click away and you can have the whole ps2 library at your fingertips. I recently soft modded my Ps2 with freemcboot, using the disk swap trick with 007 agent under fire. I originally didn't have 007 so I ended up wasting an entire day from 10 a.m. to 1 a.m. the next morning trying out what few games i had. Turns out that the only files i can replace was on my mortal kombat games, and they won't work unless i have a wireless adapter for the ps2. I coughed up the money at a game store and purchased the game. WORTH EVERY PENNY. (even though it was only 5 bucks) I might consider modding my wii once the wii u finally picks up pace. When the updates for the wii stop, that will be the prime time to do that. The tutorials can be found online, if you want links or have any questions doing it, just reply. (even though the tutorials SHOULD explain most of it.)

Re: soft mod consoles

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2013-01-08 20:50:18
I don't think there's been an update to the Wii since Wii Menu 4.3 came out a while ago.

All the homebrew you need, including the Homebrew Channel, Bootmii, WADder, IOS Patcher, Emulators, etc, work perfectly on the current firmware, and it'd be unlikely that Nintendo comes out with an update to the old Wii.

Having had all of this homebrew since Wii Menu 3.3, I'd say it works quite nicely and is easy to reinstall, as Wii softmodders respond to the simple coding of the Wii very quickly and are able to patch their respective Homebrew quickly. So even if Nintendo does update their firmware, which I doubt, new versions of the hacks will be out soon.

If you have Smash Brothers, Smash Stack is a great way to get started with the Homebrew Channel. Then load up some Trucha-Bugged IOSes and get the Homebrew Browser (Which is a great way to browse most of the apps for the Homebrew Channel) and you'd be good to go.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2013-01-09 05:16:44
+1 for the Wii being really easy to softmod (for homebrew, not necessarily ISOs of commercial games and such). I think the Dreamcast also deserves special mention here, as it is my understanding you don't even have to softmod it and can just run whatever code you want completely vanilla right there.

Then again, you can do that with a PC, but I suppose that's irrelevant to this topic :p

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2013-01-09 09:03:30

+1 for the Wii being really easy to softmod (for homebrew, not necessarily ISOs of commercial games and such). I think the Dreamcast also deserves special mention here, as it is my understanding you don't even have to softmod it and can just run whatever code you want completely vanilla right there.

Then again, you can do that with a PC, but I suppose that's irrelevant to this topic :p

You need to patch the code up sliiiightly but yeah.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2013-01-15 13:56:27
I think the Dreamcast also deserves special mention here, as it is my understanding you don't even have to softmod it and can just run whatever code you want completely vanilla right there.

Indeed.  The only thing you have to do to play pirated/backed-up games on a Dreamcast is scramble the ISO in a specific way and burn it to a CD-R.