Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

What is the best hardware to make a retro PC for Cheap - Page 1

What is the best hardware to make a retro PC for Cheap

Posted by: BlueAce2001
Date: 2019-05-16 15:00:07
I want to make a windows XP machine for retro games and compatibly with software. I don't have any money right now but when I have some i'll buy the parts later on.

Re: What is the best hardware to make a retro PC for Cheap

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2019-05-17 20:59:29
Always check ebay for second hand old pc components. Also check local thrift stores, garage sales, etc. as well, so you can get the best deals, sometimes people may be willing to give away a old computer. Since you're wanting a PC for emulation, you probably wouldn't need a high end graphics card, but you could get old high end ones for cheap too.

Posted by: BlueAce2001
Date: 2019-05-18 18:36:07
Thanks for the advice for where to look at for old pc stuff :)

Posted by: Matt1990
Date: 2019-05-27 12:15:54
The best ones I can think of are a 9800/9600 GT, an Intel Core Duo and 2-4 GB of RAM. This one runs all PS2 era games and some early PS3 ones with no issues. Can't really think of anything else at the moment.