Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

Reliable video tools - Page 1

Reliable video tools

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-01-23 09:40:33
Discuss good video tools here:

Free:

FFMPEG (Requires programming knowledge but very good), free, as it is specific to what you tell it to do; other editors can mess with frame rate, file type, label(s)?

FreeVideoJoiner: Its sole purpose is that; a free video joiner. It comes with FFMPEG, but the idea is you use FreeVideoJoiner and combine the video without knowledge of programming, and using a command prompt is not needed.

Avidemux (Needs a little knowledge about file formatting, but reliable)

Kapwing (possibly), simple GUI with good support. However, I'm using it right now. It may be resource heavy. Like card editors, it's WYSIWYG, and may be enough if you don't want specific encodings. You have to have  an account/Google Account to remove the watermark, but as far as I know it's free? I prefer it over Windows Movie Maker which can be slow and have bad encodings. Resolution was published for me as 1280 x 780, which is not perfect; and for older Pokémon games it tends to stretch anyway? However, that can be a problem if you have lots of text and it is small.

Paid/shareware:
Bandicam (unsure specifics recently. You may have to pay, or you may have to have a watermark on the video. Otherwise, it can be a good screen recorder and setting up recording audio from the computer has been lots simpler in personal experience, where Stereo Mix can sometimes not work with other tools)

Grey legality:
VisualBoyAdvance video (not all versions of VBA may have it so you may have to find a specific build), WAV recording, BGB audio recording and frame dumper, which can be combined into a video https://code.google.com/archive/p/vba-rerecording

Good, but outdated, buggy:

Debut (Dazzle DVC-100); paid, but for streaming old consoles, etc.

Re: Reliable video tools

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2020-01-24 01:08:53
ffmpeg does not require programming knowledge, merely command line experience and attentiveness. Also you forgot WinFF (the classic ffmpeg wrapper for Windows) and Shotcut, which is Sony Vegas but free.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-01-24 03:59:45

ffmpeg does not require programming knowledge, merely command line experience and attentiveness. Also you forgot WinFF (the classic ffmpeg wrapper for Windows) and Shotcut, which is Sony Vegas but free.

Thanks. Yeah, programming knowledge wasn't the right words. You can get experience by searching for scripts on the Internet, modifying them and following the instructions, yes.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2020-01-24 05:28:16
I should point out that VBA is a crappy emulator, and recommend mGBA instead.

More topically, DaVinci Resolve, a video editor which has a free version and is available for all three major OSes.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2020-01-31 01:10:29
OBS is a great piece of software to use for screen recording. You can record your entire desktop, a window, or even attach a capture card and record footage from a game console. You also have the option of live-streaming your adventures if you don't want to record them locally. Highly recommend–there's really a lot you can do with it.