Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Wiki Discussion

Glitch History? - Page 1

Glitch History?

Posted by: Hydrall
Date: 2007-12-05 19:37:08
I've been away for waay too long… Sorry. And I'm probably still not going to help much.

But I've been thinking… What is the history of these strange, mysterious data streams we call 'Glitches'? When was MissingNO. first discovered, and, if possible, by whom? 'M block? .4?

It could be anything, from a long, speculative and descriptive essay, to a rather long timeline.

I'm far inferior of an information gatherer to find whether one of these exists (Even on this site.) I hope that, if this suggestion is taken to light, it will prosper.

We need to find this, and learn about the history of our site.

Thank you,
[right]Hydrall                                                                                                                                                                                                  [/right]

Re: Glitch History?

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2007-12-05 19:40:37
I'm sure they posted something about something like this as an update before…I think in "Getting into high gear now"…. Hmm.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-12-05 20:44:57
All that we know about MissingNo is that was found within a month of the game's release. This guide was written by Matt Sweeney and was last updated on February 27, 1999; in it he credits "Spencer for telling me the whole thing", so there's no claim of discovery there. This is the earliest guide I can find on Gamefaqs that references MissingNo. However, this is not the first mention of MissingNo I found on the internet; that would be a Usenet posting made in October 24, 1998. Given that the North American release of Red/Blue was in September 29, 1998, it appears that the glitch Pokemon was found pretty quickly. The nature of the post makes it obvious that it was no discovery, only someone asking about what was (apparently) a rumor at the time. It's possible that word of MissingNo may have spread by word of mouth before reaching the internet (and making its true discoverer unknown, unfortunately)

Discovery of the Mew/Ditto Glitch is usually credited to "TheScythe", who posted a guide about it on Gamefaqs on April 17, 2003. However "IMAKUNI" posted this guide, citing discovery in December 13, 2003.

I'm not sure about discovery, but the first mention of "non Missingno" glitches such as .4 is here, originally written in November 2003. Yes, I admit, I wrote that document, but I'm not trying to make myself appear important. IMAKUNI mentions these in passing (not by name but by dex number, as in "GLITCH #250") in his guide (TheScythe does not), but his guide was written in December while my document is from November. In addition, IMAKUNI only lists the Red/Blue Dittoable Glitches (failing to account for the Yellow ones despite the fact that the guide is in the Pokemon Yellow section), while acknowledging 3TrainerPoke as "Yellow's 'M". IMAKUNI was spot-on in attributing TMTrainer Effects to the "Super Glitch" attack, though. Kudos to him.

[glitchcity=meta/profglitch]Prof. Glitch's Lab[/glitchcity], started by me in February 2004, was probably the first site to have actual data (more than a simple mention) on Ditto-able Glitch Pokemon (TRsRockin.com, which people like to think is the number one glitch site, got this info many months later - from me, incidentally). That would be part of an unfinished history section on the site. A thread about GCL's own history can be found here.

Posted by: glitchcityscientist9.65 B
Date: 2008-01-09 21:55:17
Well it is obvious that the first people to relize that MISSINGNO was there is Nintendo. They just kept in under lock and key. As for the first player to find missingno, well, probebly just some nerd living at his parents house playing pokemon Red and Blue all day. First forum comment ;D 

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2008-01-11 16:39:01
Well, obviously, they had to make their own placeholder, such as ??????????, which has a pokedex data, as a way of testing the Pokedex (or a joke)

Posted by: LedZeplin2
Date: 2008-01-11 16:41:05

Well, obviously, they had to make their own placeholder, such as ??????????, which has a pokedex data, as a way of testing the Pokedex (or a joke)

How would it be a joke? Can you explain?

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2008-01-11 16:43:27

How would it be a joke? Can you explain?

Only nerds will be able to access this so they added it purposely to cause conspiracy.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2008-01-11 18:08:51
They have to have a little fun once in a while :P.