Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Wiki Discussion

Old Threads - Page 1

Old Threads

Posted by: RPBnimrod
Date: 2008-02-16 17:40:07
Why does everyone have a thing against posting in threads that are considered old? (as in 3+ months old)? I mean, of coarse if the thread was stupid or settled than sure, by all means flame or WoM a person who posts in it, but if it's a good thread that was abandoned for no reason than you shouldn't lock it the first second someone posts in it for a good reason. It's just sort-of irritating to me.

Re: Old Threads

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2008-02-16 18:41:26
It's bad forum etiquette to revive any thread that's like 3+ months old.

We were deciding on a rule about bumping in *deleted* but it's not in the forum rules yet yet falls under the wild card rule. (rule 8)

Date: 2008-02-16 19:05:36
still…if it's good 'n healthy it should be recycled, this isn't a company trying to impress anyone, this is a nice forum for glitch enthuseists1

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2008-02-16 19:40:33
If you contribute somethnig good it would be fine, just posting something else so it just looks like you're trying to revive it isn't good.

Date: 2008-02-16 19:59:41
True, but good posts are fine to post. Than it's settled!

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2008-02-16 20:25:27

And that's something I've never understood. Obviously if someone answered a gameplay help question from five months ago by someone who hasn't been back since, that should be warned for – its pointless nature denotes it as SPAM. But if a thread's made for a movie that has yet to be released, and it slows down for a couple months, and then someone posts in it after the movie's come out, that's fine, or should be.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2008-02-17 23:15:38
It's sorta sad that RPB doesn't know this stuff about bumping.

Date: 2008-02-18 09:38:29

It's sorta sad that RPB doesn't know this stuff about bumping.
Not really.

Date: 2008-02-18 10:39:20
How is it sad?

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2008-02-18 10:59:03

How is it sad?

Well, it's sorta common sense.
If a topic wasn't posted in it for 3 months or so, don't post in it!

Date: 2008-02-18 11:02:24
But that has been detailed and changed for the better now.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2008-02-18 11:37:31

Well, it's sorta common sense.
If a topic wasn't posted in it for 3 months or so, don't post in it!

Not to be combative, but GCL has no prohibition on bumping. Obviously common sense should be used.

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2008-02-18 12:19:01

We were deciding on a rule about bumping in the Exclusive Board but it's not in the forum rules yet yet falls under the wild card rule. (rule 8)

I don't believe it to be always so.

In fact, etiquette is not always right. (lol elbow on dinner table taboo) Why don't we be different from the rest of the forums?

But yeah, I do agree with IIMarckus on using common sense to determine whether to bump a thread or not.

Obviously if someone answered a gameplay help question from five months ago by someone who hasn't been back since, that should be warned for – its pointless nature denotes it as SPAM.

Not entirely pointless, I remember getting pissed off every time I found a thread with no answers but with my question every time I searched for my question on Google.

Date: 2008-02-19 11:51:40
Bumping, I'm guessing, means needlessly posting a spammish/stupid/both spammish and stupid post on an old threa, right (sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm only starting to learn internet words)

Date: 2008-02-19 18:15:40

Bumping, I'm guessing, means needlessly posting a spammish/stupid/both spammish and stupid post on an old threa, right (sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm only starting to learn internet words)
Yeah.