Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Wiki Discussion

OpenID support! - Page 1

OpenID support!

Posted by: MissingNo.openID
Date: 2008-03-19 21:43:45
Yep, I'm posting from a new account, one made from testing the OpenID login on the forums now. I had Kyoukipichi turn on the OpenID authentication and I logged in with my Verisign-provided OpenID.

So, uh, yeah. It works in SMF 2.0 Public Beta 3.

And if you don't know what OpenID is, it's a system that makes it easier to log into sites with one central username and password. Livejournal, forums, and so on. There are a lot of providers out there for OpenID services, and you may have an ID already - if you have AOL/AIM, Yahoo, Flickr, and so on.

But just to let you know, OpenID will make a new account on the forums for that ID… >_>

Edit: And that box right underneath the username/password is where your OpenID info goes - just the username part - your provider will ask for a password and possibly information to allow or deny OpenID access to your account.

Re: OpenID support!

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2008-03-20 01:45:47
There's a Wikipedia article about it.

What's interesting is that you can set up your server to be an OpenID provider free of charge, no special agreements (except for the licence agreement on the software you use to provide OpenID), and a lot of choices for "third-party" software. Hell, there are a few single-user software to give you just one OpenID for yourself. Apparently, the creators of the protocol are aiming to make it as legally liberal as possible.

Re: OpenID support!

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2008-03-20 17:00:58

There's a Wikipedia article about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenID (yeah, I was on my Wii, so I couldn't post the link)