Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Wiki Discussion

I HATE MNGS - Page 1

I HATE MNGS

Posted by: Shrameo
Date: 2008-10-13 10:10:09
[glow=red,2,300]Arggggghhhhhh!!!![/glow] >:(
Some of these pictures you put on here  are MNGs or other files I can't access! You should change them to make them accessable by those of us how have Internet Explore or Safari. Can't you like change the document format and make it a PNG or GIF instead? Those files are way more practical than MNGs.

And if you don't, I'll stauk you for the rest of your life. Just to let you know… ;D

Re: I HATE MNGS

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2008-10-13 11:30:03
Show me where one of these MNGs is, I can't find a single one in images.

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2008-10-13 15:24:33
Though everyone should use MNG instead of GIF.

Posted by: Shrameo
Date: 2008-11-21 19:44:51
I dunno, I thought that one of the pictures I tried to bring up (which was actually named MNG) was iin MNG format. I even added it to My Pictures and it said its format was MNG. Well, can you start to at least put some of the GIF pictures as JPEGs or PNGs. It just helps…

Posted by: Yuzihax
Date: 2008-11-21 20:02:20

I dunno, I thought that one of the pictures I tried to bring up (which was actually named MNG) was iin MNG format. I even added it to My Pictures and it said its format was MNG. Well, can you start to at least put some of the GIF pictures as JPEGs or PNGs. It just helps…

There's no point in putting GIFs as JPEGs or PNGs, there's no MNG image on GCL, period.
So it wouldn't be helping anything.

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2008-12-03 17:39:28
I find it retarded that no browser wants to support MNGs

Posted by: ultraVex
Date: 2008-12-03 17:56:57
Yeah, I think that MNGs rule and need some recognition.
Unfortunately, I can't find any MNG files anywhere on the internet.

Date: 2008-12-03 18:42:21
People ARE making an alternative animated PNG format, APNG. Instead of having its own file extension, it uses ".PNG", and is compatible with older browsers that don't support it. Hell, even Firefox 3 and the latest version of Opera supports it now. Why? They think MNG is too complex.

Date: 2008-12-04 20:23:59
I would be for APNG if it was standardized. There's a movement to convert animated GIFs into APNGs; Bulbapedia has already begun doing so and I believe there's a discussion on Sonic Retro about it

Date: 2008-12-06 22:18:46
I already made one myself, so people here can see as an example: http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4933/animationbx4.png

And, it seems that APNG will have much more luck becoming standardized. Everyone ignores MNG, so… yeah. That, and saving to APNG has MUCH less chance of fucking up the colors of your animation than .gif.

Date: 2008-12-06 22:54:20
I have reservations about using a format only supported by two browsers. An APNG sprite at Bulbapedia was tagged by 2 different users for deletion, both of whom said that it didn't move. Clearly Bulbapedia made a dumb decision; APNG isn't ready for general use as of yet (someone get Microsoft to add support for it into IE9 quick!)

Although the fact that they're regular PNGs is nice too, as non-compliant browsers will still get to view them.

Date: 2008-12-07 00:40:30
Yeah, I also believe it would be a better idea to wait. Apparently, so far the only software supporting it are these: Firefox 3, Opera 9.5, KSquirrel 0.7.2, and XnView 1.92.

Date: 2008-12-07 02:33:29
Those last two are image viewers.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2008-12-12 23:36:57

Everyone ignores MNG, so… yeah.

Konqueror doesn?t :(

Date: 2008-12-12 23:53:33
I feel like bringing up the issue of APNG nonsupport on Bulbapedia but the admins seem to be like "the editorial board made this decision and YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT NYAH NYAN NYAH" (plus the thread's almost a month old).