Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Wiki Discussion

NIWA - should we consider joining them? - Page 2

Re: NIWA - should we consider joining them?

Posted by: Kyoukipichi
Date: 2010-12-04 18:38:26
I'm not sure if we want to do a wiki merge. If anything, it should solely be Malacoda's decision.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2010-12-08 21:54:08
There'd be no point in me having 10 other staff members if any decision was solely mine

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-03-09 15:30:40
A discussion about this on the NIWA Forums was revived recently. The proposal is for at least affiliation and I'm unsure yet whether Raltseye meant full membership.

I have links to NIWA as I work for the now independent Starfy Wiki, so can discuss this directly with them and keep us updated.

http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?topic=1476.0

What are our thoughts?

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-03-09 18:32:33
Regarding the post you wrote, I would also have added that Bulba's pages are unmaintained and tend to say quite some bullshit. (Since it had been argued that we were redundant with them)

Regarding the affiliation itself, I think it's a good idea. Not really much to say besides the obvious "The larger the network, the better."

Date: 2018-03-10 05:34:25

Regarding the post you wrote, I would also have added that Bulba's pages are unmaintained and tend to say quite some bullshit. (Since it had been argued that we were redundant with them)

Regarding the affiliation itself, I think it's a good idea. Not really much to say besides the obvious "The larger the network, the better."

I don't agree, but see where you're coming from. I feel Bulbapedia organizes its pages well and are generally accurate. There have been inaccurate glitch claims yes (for example I think their Trainer House glitch article needs work I tried the time change method but it didn't work) and in relation to their glitch Pokémon articles not all of the glitch Pokémon effects happen all the time, but from a general perspective Bulbapedia is quite accurate.

Posted by: flor12344
Date: 2018-03-10 05:49:48
good idea (more glitches the bester)

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2018-03-10 10:53:45
My head canon:

Bulbapedia is stealing our info from an old cloned version of the site from back before we did the mass update of the Wiki.

i have nothing relevant to add, they're just a shittier fork of our site with a new skin and general info along with their outdated glitch info.

Date: 2018-03-10 12:18:20

My head canon:

Bulbapedia is stealing our info from an old cloned version of the site from back before we did the mass update of the Wiki.

i have nothing relevant to add, they're just a shittier fork of our site with a new skin and general info along with their outdated glitch info.

That just sounds unreasonable to reject them though. Regardless if they have taken information from the GlitchDex I don't think it's wrong. They still source us, not all of their information is from the site and they have a lot of information we haven't covered (but is often taken for granted as 'known') such as on their list of glitches pages.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-03-10 13:09:31
The discussion about Bulba's relevancy is out of this topic, though ; it might be worth arguing over that if NIWA admins think we are redundant over Bulba, but it's not here that it should be discussed.

Date: 2018-03-10 15:59:19
There's less of a focus on Bulbapedia for glitches. The site is less structured for such so it seems less comprehensive.

I suggest that if we link to NIWA, then that would add more activity surrounding and people learning about glitchology.

Date: 2018-03-11 11:37:25

There's less of a focus on Bulbapedia for glitches. The site is less structured for such so it seems less comprehensive.

I suggest that if we link to NIWA, then that would add more activity surrounding and people learning about glitchology.

True. Coverage of the games, anime, manga is more popular/more of Bulbapedia's priority than glitches which only makes sense (these are the 'core' elements of the franchise). At the same time they don't rule them out and (while not as big in number) there are a few interested in covering glitches there like SnorlaxMonster (former head of Bulbapedia Project GlitchDex).

My thoughts too, I think the whole of NIWA has a great number of glitch experts/enthusiasts too and affiliation/membership could encourage a greater interest in the subject.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2018-03-12 09:57:41
I'm fine with us joining the NIWA but please be aware of why it was founded in the first place: it was a way for Bulbapedia to take a stab at Wikia who wanted to buy it. Not to mention the sort of war that existed between Bulbapedia and the Pokémon Wiki on Wikia a decade ago due to plagiarism and similar issues.

My head canon:

They aren't doing that but their focus is neither bugs or unused content as both types of information there are a huge mess and one which nobody seems to be interested in. It is currently disservicing their readers so it would actually be an improvement if they removed it altogether and pointed to us as a source for bugs while linking to TCRF as a source for unused content and general datamining. Note that I'm not saying that they shouldn't have info on bugs or unused content at all but that it would be better handled if they limited it to contextual references on the relevant articles (e.g.: mentioning that the Kanto Safari Zone was planned then scrapped for Gold and Silver on the location's article itself, which they already do, and pointing to here and/or TCRF if people want to find out more about it).

Date: 2018-03-12 20:33:21
Moved this thread from Archives to Wiki Discussions since it's being actively discussed.