Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Wiki Discussion

How to be a distinguished/valued contributer member etc - Page 1

How to be a distinguished/valued contributer member etc

Posted by: Glitch Hunter
Date: 2010-11-17 09:00:33
This'll probably sound stupid, but i really like this site lol so i wanted to acutally "mean" something to it so i was wondering what i would have to do specifically to be a distinguished member or contributer etc?

Re: How to be a distinguished/valued contributer member etc

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-11-17 11:31:38

This'll probably sound stupid, but i really like this site lol so i wanted to acutally "mean" something to it so i was wondering what i would have to do specifically to be a distinguished member or contributer etc?

"Valued Contributor" is given to people who have made useful or significant contributions to the site but are not staff. As you likely remember, we used to have an active "glitch submissions board" but since the announcement of Project Phoenix (our wiki project) we don't formally accept submissions on the glitch submissions board any more. If you want to add information about a glitch, feel free to add it to the wiki (after the administrators deal with some slight memory issues) and make good edits. You can help us in any way at all, maybe by telling us about other glitches we don't know about yet on the Pokémon Glitch Discussion board or by submitting your own glitch related "Dex", etc.

"Distinguished Member" is given to people who have made 'notable contributions' to glitch related work in general. This includes things like multiple or notable discoveries, and/or an in-depth analysis of glitches originating from yourself.

We also have a "Member+" usergroup, which is usually granted if members continue to visit the forums and make good posts.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2010-11-17 13:51:51
Also as far as I'm aware you also have to be nominated by other users already in the group?

But for now just keep posting what you find in the Pokemon Glitch Submission forum and put it on the wiki if you want to, and eventually you'll get recognised.

Date: 2010-11-17 14:51:46

Also as far as I'm aware you also have to be nominated by other users already in the group?

But for now just keep posting what you find in the Pokemon Glitch Submission forum and put it on the wiki if you want to, and eventually you'll get recognised.

Yes, you have the right idea. For Member+ and (recently Distinguished Member) nominations there has to be a general consensus from other users who are already in a special usergroup such as Member+, Valued Contributor, Distinguished Member, Staff, etc.

Date: 2010-11-19 04:39:49
Ah, alright! thanks for letting me know <3

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2010-11-22 10:46:32
The most common way to become Member+ is to be nominated in. Stick around, make a few hundred posts, and eventually someone will notice and nominate you. I'd say that most nominations tend to be successful. Member+ really isn't as exclusive as it looks, most members who've been around longer than a year end up in that group (it's more like our version of the "senior member" rank most other forums have, except most forums base it on post count. As you might have noticed we don't have post-count based groups). Members+ can also be promoted by staff without a nomination, but this doesn't happen very often anymore.

Valued Contributor is given to people who submit glitch info. Since all of that is handled through the wiki now, the best way to end up in that group is to make edits to the wiki. The wiki seems to be rather flaky now, though. Valued Contributor has the same permissions set as Member+ so it is roughly equivalent. There's no nomination process for this group, so it's all staff decision. I have to confess that we don't use this group as often as we should, but hopefully when the wiki picks up there'll be more opportunities for it.

Distinguished Member is the most prestigious non-staff rank we have. There is a nomination process but, in all of three years, only one person (Torchickens) has been promoted through that process. There are only 8 in this group (as opposed to 55 Members+) You'd have to pull off something pretty big to get into this group.

Date: 2010-11-22 10:57:30
Lol i've been here 3-4 years xD and i am submitting some stuff, like the coin case stuff and my newly posted glitch city stuff. and alright, thanks for clearing it up for me, :)

Date: 2010-11-22 11:35:04
I don't actually know what the initial consideration for Distinguished Membership was before the nomination process (the nomination starting at the beginning of June 2009). Missing? NO! was apparently the one who suggested my promotion but I never found out why. The main (significant) posts that I remember adding to the forums prior to June 2009 were from starting a thread about an unused battle system in Pokémon Yellow and starting a 'list of fly locations and glitch maps" in Pokémon Yellow which was later converted into a Yellow "AreaDex". I also experimented with invalid map locations in Gold and Silver but I only found about one or two glitch maps. Every now and then I would add more 'dexes' to the forums but excluding the AreaDex only two of these were completed; a "radio channel (string) Dex" and an ItemDex for Gold and Silver.

I wouldn't compare what I found to the big discoveries of people like Paco81.

Date: 2010-11-24 08:36:59
Well all i've managed to do so far it just get more information on the effects of the other glitches like the gltich city and coin case

Posted by: echinodermata
Date: 2010-11-24 23:27:41
For what it's worth, I dug up (and unilaterally "deexclusivized") this list of "distinguishments":

ACE91: one of the pioneers of this site, found several major glitches such as Q Trick and was the first to realize glitch Pokémon had over level 100 moves
Koolboyman: mostly for Pokémon Brown, I believe   
Mugendai: I think he just put himself in this usergroup
Okk: Gamefaqs guide, major help on project Melchior, extensive knowledge   
Paco81: the Celebi Trick for G/S   
Pokeglitch: had one of the best glitch sites of 2004 until it was merged into GCL   
Torchickens: he did a lot of stuff

Date: 2010-11-26 04:35:34
ahhh…. well i'll try to keep up. lol