Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Wiki Discussion

Videos on the Wiki - Page 1

Videos on the Wiki

Posted by: Zach the Glitch Buster
Date: 2011-09-23 17:51:28
I propose that we imbed videos into the wiki. I don't think that having a url linking to Youtube at the bottom of the page is as effective or as visually pleasing. It also takes people off of the site which is not normally a plus.
Now I am ignorant to the technical challenges this may or may not present. Linking to a Youtube page does work and if serious time and effort is required to make embedded video become a reality then screw it, there are more important projects. But if it does not take much effort, I would highly recommend making videos embedded into the wiki. [size=1pt]I wouldn't expect it to be too difficult but, again, what do I know?[/size]
Thoughts?

Re: Videos on the Wiki

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2011-09-23 20:01:17
Yeah, that's a good idea, just like on Bulbapedia.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2011-09-24 06:15:55

I propose that we imbed videos into the wiki. I don't think that having a url linking to Youtube at the bottom of the page is as effective or as visually pleasing. It also takes people off of the site which is not normally a plus.
Now I am ignorant to the technical challenges this may or may not present. Linking to a Youtube page does work and if serious time and effort is required to make embedded video become a reality then screw it, there are more important projects. But if it does not take much effort, I would highly recommend making videos embedded into the wiki. [size=1pt]I wouldn't expect it to be too difficult but, again, what do I know?[/size]
Thoughts?

From what I've heard the current version of EmbedVideo is a good and easy to install MediaWiki extension. Super Mario Wiki and Starfy Wiki use it. I'm not sure what Bulbapedia uses. The syntax is like this {{#ev:youtube|URL|?px|left/right|alttext}}.

Posted by: SnorlaxMonster
Date: 2011-09-24 11:14:31
On Bulbapedia, there were technical issues with videos on pages. At one point, the Thunderbolt page wouldn't load, and this is believed to be due to both having a video and having a lot of templates due to the large number of Pokémon that learn it. There is an unwritten restriction that videos only go on glitch pages on Bulbapedia. However, despite this, I have never had trouble loading any glitch pages with videos, even back on list of minor glitches, which was huge and had lots of videos. So I don't really know how much of a problem videos could be, but this is what I have been told.

Posted by: Zach the Glitch Buster
Date: 2011-09-24 12:17:41

On Bulbapedia, there were technical issues with videos on pages. At one point, the Thunderbolt page wouldn't load, and this is believed to be due to both having a video and having a lot of templates due to the large number of Pokémon that learn it. There is an unwritten restriction that videos only go on glitch pages on Bulbapedia. However, despite this, I have never had trouble loading any glitch pages with videos, even back on list of minor glitches, which was huge and had lots of videos. So I don't really know how much of a problem videos could be, but this is what I have been told.

Well if embedded videos are not hard to implement we should give them a try. If they begin to cause problems then they can be removed. Still worth trying. 

Posted by: SnorlaxMonster
Date: 2011-09-25 01:15:39

Well if embedded videos are not hard to implement we should give them a try. If they begin to cause problems then they can be removed. Still worth trying. 

Yeah, I agree. Embedded videos are very convenient.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2011-09-25 11:38:16
Could we make $wgRawHtml available for just higherups via template:page embeds?  We could then use raw embed code to avoid any problems with plugins.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2011-09-25 14:20:00
AFAIK settings like that can't be restricted per group, but there are solutions available. This one was one I used on Sanctum.