Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Wiki Discussion

Broken links and confusion - Page 1

Broken links and confusion

Posted by: Cryptic_Lynx
Date: 2015-01-07 12:32:08
Hey, I just made my account, and I'm a new user who has read nearly every information page on this site, as far as I can tell. I was wondering about a few things that are unclear.
First of all, broken links, usually about similar things, are scattered about the site, and there is virtually no mention of them in the forums. I'd like to know a bit about them.
The broken links are:
Yami Shop Glitch
Rival's Effect
Generation III bit set glitch
I have never heard of these before.

Also, what is Arbitrary Code Execution?
Edit: Found more, hooked metapod/glitzer popping glitch.

Re: Broken links and confusion

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-01-07 15:59:25
Hi, welcome to the forums. Thanks for your interest in the wiki!

These are all new links which were added by me. I aim to rework every page on the wiki and update it with new glitches but I have been either busy or uploading videos of new glitches on my Youtube channel.

I admit that the pages are untidy at the moment and a few of these links may be different names of the same thing, as is the case with Generation III bit set glitch and Glitzer Popping.

Soon I'll return to the wiki and continue to edit.

I've explained the glitches you mentioned below:

1)Yami Shop glitch (also known as strange mart on the ItemDex) is a glitch caused by glitch items with long internal names (I call them "Super Glitch items"). Opening the items screen, Pokémon screen, etc. saves overworld screen data to the memory. Just selecting or trying to sell (and not using) one of these glitch items will corrupt data based on the screen data. This data includes what is being sold at a Pokémart, so you can force glitch items to appear. The name originates from Japanese documentation of the glitch. Yami means dark, but it probably means "black market".

2) Rival's effect (also known as Jack effect) - certain glitch items bring up a fake Pokémon menu and when you close it, your character becomes invisible. If your character was not facing a wall, then you can move in another direction a little to walk through walls. Rival's effect items can be found at index numbers for regular items that open the Pokémon menu +$80 (e.g. hex:94 because Potion is hex:14).

3) Generation III bit set glitch/Glitzer Popping/hidden party glitch - Using a sub-glitch of the Pomeg glitch, you can access a "hidden party" of Pokémon from slot 255 and above. Just selecting these Pokémon will cause corruption of the memory by setting bits, which is why I called it the bit set glitch. Things that you can do with this glitch include corrupting box Pokémon (you can even hatch any Pokémon if you are lucky and follow certain steps), Day Care Pokémon, positions/scripts of characters on the overworld and more.

I called it specifically the Generation III bit set glitch because there are glitches you could call bit set glitches in Generation I, because Missingno. and other glitch Pokémon have invalid Pokédex flags; with Missingno. adding 128 (+bit 7) to your sixth item quantity. This is because the game thinks its an address for a Pokémon being 'seen' in the Pokédex.

4) Arbitrary code execution (ACE) is to do with the game executing code from an address that isn't from the ROM, and could be altered without changing the game. With arbitrary code execution, you manipulate this data to activate your own custom code. For example, the glitch item "8F" in Red/Blue executes code from WRAM D163, which is the start of your party Pokémon data. With particular Pokémon you can redirect the code flow to somewhere else, such as your inventory, and from there specific items and quantities would represent opcodes. This sounds complicated but it isn't if you have an opcode table, and know how to write code.

Here is TheZZAZZGlitch's thread about arbitrary code execution with 8F.

5) Hooked Metapod - This is an effect of a long name glitch item or the Yami Shop glitch in the English Pokémon games if the game finishes copying screen data a little late. (This depends on how late there is a hex:50 tile, which is often the bottom left corner of a bush). The Metapod is taken from a vertical menu tile (hex:7C). It's also our mascot since a long time ago, but I don't know if anyone here knew the specifics of how to get it in the past.

Posted by: Cryptic_Lynx
Date: 2015-01-07 19:25:32
Thanks, that's all I need.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2015-01-08 04:02:46

It's also our mascot since a long time ago, but I don't know if anyone here knew the specifics of how to get it in the past.

All that was known about it in the past is that people got it with some glitch items.