Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Wiki Discussion

Auto Approve Wiki Edits - Page 1

Auto Approve Wiki Edits

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2016-03-29 18:37:19
Now I can see why staff need to approve edits on the wiki, because I know it's a pain in the butt to fix edits made by people who purposely vandalize a page. But I've been fixing the Glitchdex making it look a bit more organized than it is now, and it's slightly annoying to wait for someone to approve the edits. Plus, even if someone was to mess up a page, anyone with the rollback option can quickly revert the page to a previous revision, and then ban whoever messed the page up. I was just wondering if maybe this feature can be removed for members who are Members+ and above. If not that's fine. :P

Re: Auto Approve Wiki Edits

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2016-03-31 14:17:30
The GlitchDex is powered by an extension, which parses the raw content of the subpages to generate the finished output. Adding wiki markup to the raw data would break the parser.

However, this extension broke with a recent MediaWiki update. The extension was poorly created anyway, and will need to be thrown away and completely redone. When this is done, all of those subpages will be rewritten eventually. The plan will be to use native wiki template language in place of the custom parser the current extension uses, which will cut down on the complexity of the extension.

On a more general topic, there is a group of users who are not sysops who have the ability to approve edits, the QC (quality control) group. It's probably possible to have a group which can approve their own edits, although I think  anyone who can be trusted to bypass approval can likewise be trusted to approve the edits of others, so maybe we can just expand the approval right to Member+ and above.

Re: Auto Approve Wiki Edits

Posted by: Missingnoguy55
Date: 2016-03-31 21:40:54

The GlitchDex is powered by an extension, which parses the raw content of the subpages to generate the finished output. Adding wiki markup to the raw data would break the parser.

However, this extension broke with a recent MediaWiki update. The extension was poorly created anyway, and will need to be thrown away and completely redone. When this is done, all of those subpages will be rewritten eventually. The plan will be to use native wiki template language in place of the custom parser the current extension uses, which will cut down on the complexity of the extension.

On a more general topic, there is a group of users who are not sysops who have the ability to approve edits, the QC (quality control) group. It's probably possible to have a group which can approve their own edits, although I think  anyone who can be trusted to bypass approval can likewise be trusted to approve the edits of others, so maybe we can just expand the approval right to Member+ and above.
Is this parser what converted the base stats into bars before it broke? Or am I thinking of something completely different?