Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Wiki Discussion

How to work around the loss of session data error - Page 1

How to work around the loss of session data error

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-02-12 11:52:27
(Stickied)

Sometimes when you try to upload a file on our wiki, it will say "Sorry! We could not process your edit due to a loss of session data."

There is a simple solution to this. Edit any non-file page to get the error message once. Try to submit the page a second time and it should work.

Then the next time you upload a file it should upload properly.

Note: This has only been tested by me on Chrome. Since I'm a sysop it's possible that it doesn't work for non-sysops. Could anyone without sysop or QC rights test this please? Thanks.

Re: How to work around the loss of session data error

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2018-07-31 22:50:31
Still getting it. Tried editing a normal page and got the red text version of the error, then still got it when trying to upload. I tried logging out and back in first.

Date: 2018-07-31 22:55:31

Still getting it. Tried editing a normal page and got the red text version of the error, then still got it when trying to upload. I tried logging out and back in first.

Hmm, have you tried pressing submit on the normal page twice in a row (or did you get the error message then immediately try to upload)? Sorry I think my wording was unclear.

Date: 2018-07-31 22:58:56
Tried editing the normal page again…and got no error. Uploaded the file…and got no error. Wish I knew what caused it. Managed to get one screenshot up though, and hopefully more soon.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2018-08-13 00:10:56
It seems like for whatever reason the session isn't fully "set up" until you actually try to edit a page. Trying again seems to resolve it, and once you have edits going through you should be able to do anything else like upload a file, confirm a revision, or rename a user.

I'm really trying to get this actually fixed, but it's really difficult to figure out. I hope to have it fixed in 18.08, but if not, I'll just have to go with the workaround (which is just to disable this specific check in mediawiki).

The SSO code really sucks (it was written 10+ years ago for ancient mediawiki + SMF versions; I've had to keep it up to date) and is using deprecated interfaces. I've been having a hell of a time trying to port it over to Extension:Auth remoteuser which, as far as I can tell, should just "work" if I plug in the SMF user details.

Date: 2018-08-18 14:35:26
Thank you for working on it. For now it's not as inconvenient as I originally thought it was.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2018-08-27 03:03:53
I am sorry this update is taking so long. It may look like I'm sitting on my ass doing nothing, but in fact I am banging my head against the wall (figuratively speaking) trying to get the forum and wiki to integrate correctly.

I may end up just pushing it as is, even though there are bugs (specifically, because of how we have to juggle between the SMF session and the mediawiki session, the SMF session becomes invalid and trying to logout from the wiki causes a session verification error).

This was all so much simpler, and more fun, 10 years ago.

Date: 2018-08-27 11:25:44
That's all right Abwayax. :)

Take your time, there should be no obligation, and I don't think it's that bad as it is now personally (the session data doesn't work properly but the site is still usable).

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2018-09-17 08:23:21
No need for this now, seeing as it's fixed. :)

Date: 2018-09-17 09:30:58

No need for this now, seeing as it's fixed. :)

Edit: sorry, looks like you already did so.