Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Wiki Discussion

DecDex data bot (ambitious idea but might work?) - Page 1

DecDex data bot (ambitious idea but might work?)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-03-30 09:08:39
Would it be viable for us to extract Decamark data from the ROM and use a bot to import this data on to the wiki?

There are certain things that may be suitable for the bot, like the Decamark's base stats and starting moves, level-up moves.

Other things such as whether the Decamark freezes may be harder. However it may be better to have the incomplete data there than none at all?

If I remember rightly Koolboyman actually worked on a tool that extracted the data (and we already have Wack0's modified version of a tool for looking up Pokémon data in the ROM to look up Decamark data instead; Gen3ES was it?) however not sure if we still have the data on the Internet available in text form anymore.

Documenting so many Decamarks and/or glitch Pokémon as well may take up a lot of storage on the server (you have Ruby, FireRed, Emerald which is ((65536-386)*3)) glitch Pokémon).

Thoughts?

Melchior X

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2018-07-03 18:16:34
As I understand it, the status of this project is…well, actually, I have no idea what the status of this project is supposed to be. To the best of my knowledge, Koolboyman effectively completed it. Even if his program didn't quite get everything we wanted, writing a new one wouldn't be beyond the community's knowledge in terms of coding ability, I would think. Screenshots and sprites were of course another matter, but personally I don't feel they were ever of much value, as they're just the result of accessing data in an unintended way once and not going into any further depth. On top of that, taking screenshots of all 195,447 ((65536 - 387) * 3)) or however many there are simply isn't practical; even with the community effort we had going, we covered maybe a thousand at most. Assuming we're not testing their effects or anything that might actually contribute to our general knowledge of what the third generation holds, a list of their names and stats should be more than enough.

As such, I'm curious what those in charge (and those not in charge) think of this project now, as well as whether or not I might be off-target in my interpretation of it.

Re: DecDex data bot (ambitious idea but might work?)

Date: 2018-07-31 22:24:57
Oh, there was already a thread for this. Oh well.

I think if we get the data extracted again, we should have a single "Decamark" page (this one, though the title is a bit awkward when we have so many ?-filled titles) with the list of all the data extracted in .txt or .csv (whichever the program generates) as an external link at the bottom. Anything beyond a basic description of what they are is simply not important enough to warrant more pages, in my opinion.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-07-31 23:01:40

Oh, there was already a thread for this. Oh well.

I think if we get the data extracted again, we should have a single "Decamark" page (this one, though the title is a bit awkward when we have so many ?-filled titles) with the list of all the data extracted in .txt or .csv (whichever the program generates) as an external link at the bottom. Anything beyond a basic description of what they are is simply not important enough to warrant more pages, in my opinion.

I support this! I'm unsure how Koolboyman originally dumped the data and I believe the file he linked on these forums no longer works, so I may try to contact him about it.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2018-08-02 22:36:52
Huh, I was actually having a random thought about doing this with some Python script or whatever.

Well, my thought involved gen 1 and 2 as well, and all the different versions of the games (revisions, languages, etc). I guess if you're gonna write a thing that extracts data from one ROM, why not the rest?

As long as we know how every game's data structures work, of course.

Date: 2018-08-04 23:24:48

Huh, I was actually having a random thought about doing this with some Python script or whatever.

Well, my thought involved gen 1 and 2 as well, and all the different versions of the games (revisions, languages, etc). I guess if you're gonna write a thing that extracts data from one ROM, why not the rest?

As long as we know how every game's data structures work, of course.
That sounds great, Zow!  :D Whatever you come up with would be a huge help. :)