Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Wiki Discussion

Yesterday's Downtime - Page 1

Yesterday's Downtime

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2018-11-10 23:25:46
Disclaimer: While we deconstruct the Pokémon games, we do not endorse cheating which may be against Nintendo's terms of service, nor video game emulation of unauthorised video game copies, nor anything which violates technological protection measures (e.g. custom firmwares) which may be illegal. Hence readers are to make use of the information on this website at their own risk.

Oh. So that's what happened. We finally got a Legal Notice of Eat s**t and f**k Off, Our Feelings Are Hurt cease & desist from Nintendo. I was worried Abwayax's host burned down or something…

Re: Yesterday's Downtime

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2018-11-11 01:53:30
It was a technical difficulty. I posted an announcement about it.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2018-11-12 11:17:07
I'd assume the new bit at the top is to convey a more "professional" image, which the content on the site definitely deserves even if it means resorting to hackneyed disclaimers like that.

[size=6pt](Maybe I shouldn't be saying that, considering I'm meant to be one of the people representing this place…)[/size]

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-11-12 16:59:48
About the disclaimer, I added it in case Nintendo ever does take action and to respect them, because I suddenly got a bit worried about the site. On hindsight (but I'm not qualified to say) perhaps most information can't be banned (which is mainly what this site is about), with exceptions of there being legal consequences for leaked information (although that only really applies to the German debug ROM and Nintendo Space World 1997 demos). On the other hand, authorities can censor things.

It feels Pokémon glitches used to be for fun and research (like when Glitch City began it seems arbitrary code execution was not known about or was not public knowledge), but now some people use them to get hacked Pokémon which can be used online (like with 8F/ws m) (also do custom games from arbitrary code execution class as derivative works? They don't modify the ROM but give the illusion of playing a game within a game, which in itself is a game) and we also rely on disassembly/datamining, which I don't think is a bad thing but could breach Nintendo's policies. Although in terms of cheating, historically cheating devices have not been illegal, just not endorsed by Nintendo and may be a violation of the terms of service for online play. Vulnerabilities also seem a lot more relevant; like the spoof Wi-Fi servers, or Nintendo 3DS custom firmware (which given the many patches and security measures, evidently suggest Nintendo are against).

Also emulators and ROMs can be good in that we want to see what's going on in the memory or use the disassembly to discover how a glitch works and get it to do what we want (e.g. a glitch item might have a hidden effect like set a RAM address that wouldn't be known otherwise, or it could actually execute a RAM address, which could be hard to find out without having a debugger or the ROM as a file) but unauthorised ROMs are a grey area at most/illegal at worst (with a ROM downloaded from the Internet definitely being illegal and it would seem there is very little case it would be legal).

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2018-11-16 19:20:22
We're certainly closer to Project Pokémon territory than ever thanks to 8F and Bank. I still don't personally think there's reason to worry, but I have no problem with a few lines of text on the front page.