Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Wiki Discussion

0x vs. $ - Page 2

Re: 0x vs. $

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2019-01-24 10:58:37
I would say it's confusing to newbies if addresses and values are not written the same way. I'd stick to one standard for all hexadecimal and to $ because it's assembly, visual and in my view more known to noobs than 0x.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-01-24 13:20:52
Wow…such evenly spread votes all the way across the board. Ironically, after having starting this poll I'm leaning toward it not being important enough. A few reasons:

1. The opinions from what we can see of the userbase are so divided that a unilateral change would be disliked by most users, no matter what it ended up being.

2. There are a lot of articles on the wiki. Originally I thought it would be best to catch this and set a standard on it before the page count grew even higher, but for about 3,400 pages at the time of posting this, there'd need to be a very pressing reason. Speaking of standards…

3. The wiki doesn't have strict style standards and never has. We have the manual of style, but that's just enough to prevent it from looking like articles were thrown together by elementary schoolers in seconds. I haven't seen any violations of that thanks to the QC team, but pages are written in all manners of different writing and organizational styles. This includes aspects like notation. Information is our first priority; if we had an editor base of hundreds, we could strictly look over every page and edit even the slightest deviations from what we consider the most proper style, but that's not the case right now.

Oh well, maybe this was a bit needless. Or was it not? More input  about the wiki is always welcome, in this thread or elsewhere.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-01-25 15:20:17

Wow…such evenly spread votes all the way across the board. Ironically, after having starting this poll I'm leaning toward it not being important enough. A few reasons:

1. The opinions from what we can see of the userbase are so divided that a unilateral change would be disliked by most users, no matter what it ended up being.

2. There are a lot of articles on the wiki. Originally I thought it would be best to catch this and set a standard on it before the page count grew even higher, but for about 3,400 pages at the time of posting this, there'd need to be a very pressing reason. Speaking of standards…

3. The wiki doesn't have strict style standards and never has. We have the manual of style, but that's just enough to prevent it from looking like articles were thrown together by elementary schoolers in seconds. I haven't seen any violations of that thanks to the QC team, but pages are written in all manners of different writing and organizational styles. This includes aspects like notation. Information is our first priority; if we had an editor base of hundreds, we could strictly look over every page and edit even the slightest deviations from what we consider the most proper style, but that's not the case right now.

Oh well, maybe this was a bit needless. Or was it not? More input  about the wiki is always welcome, in this thread or elsewhere.

Yeah, I agree with what you say too. I feel that a lack of consistency is not always a bad thing. I'm thinking maybe we could put a note on the manual of style explaining that currently we have used the different forms ($, 0x, h) and that they all indicate a value or address in hexadecimal, what are your thoughts on this?

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-01-25 17:28:37
Sure, may as well. I might not mention "h", simply as I've never seen it used on the wiki.