Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Writing

Peace Long Forgotten - Page 1

Peace Long Forgotten

Posted by: Missingno.7-4468
Date: 2009-08-22 00:13:34
Yes, I write.  As a somewhat large fan of the science fiction that is Dungeons and Dragons among other things.  I have been inspired to make a fanfic.  So, anyway, please enjoy this Prologue.

PROLOGUE

It is a time of war. The humans, dwarves, elves, orcs…Every nation is at war. Each of them has their own claim as to why the war started, and each is different.  The humans say that the others are taking the land that was given to them by the Ancients. The elves are complaining about different things depending on their race. Wood Elves, the most prevailant of the elves, are saying that all the other reaces are taking too much wood, and that their forest homes are becoming smaller and smaller. The dwarves are blaming the "famine" of ore in their mountain home on the Orcs, but some will even blame the other races for it.

Yes, all in the land is turmoil, but there have been some who oppose the war, and are trying to make peace. However, any appearances have quickly gotten any members of these groups killed. However, one group, the Triad, which has been active since the beginning of the war, is still going strong. Their number now measures 300 member, all of either human, dwarf, or elf blood. They are the most powerful of the rebel groups, and the most hidden.

The Archons and Angels seem to have abandoned what they once prtected.  The Celestials have returned to their realms.  Even the mechanical Inevitables are overworked.  Evil roams the land.  All is chaos. 

What will the pages of this story long forgotten reveal? 

You turn the cover…
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Haha, I love breaking the fourth wall.  Anyway, I will be updating most likely twice a week, maybe once a week on occasion.

Re: Peace Long Forgotten

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-08-22 07:54:11
Try not drawing too much to yourself. It makes it seem hard to read and stuff.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-08-22 11:20:29
Very good flow of the story. I like it.

Date: 2009-08-22 15:11:47
One type of thing that will be making a large appearance is the Inevitable.  They are creatures from the Plane of Mechanus that hunt down those that disobey the natural laws.  The Zelekhuts and Kolyaruts will be making the most appearances.  Zelekhuts hunt down those who deny justice, such as escaping from a rightful punishment.  Kolyaruts hunt those that break things such as oaths and treaties.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-08-22 20:41:35

One type of thing that will be making a large appearance is the Inevitable.  They are creatures from the Plane of Mechanus that hunt down those that disobey the natural laws.  The Zelekhuts and Kolyaruts will be making the most appearances.  Zelekhuts hunt down those who deny justice, such as escaping from a rightful punishment.  Kolyaruts hunt those that break things such as oaths and treaties.

And you don't even mention Maruts?

Date: 2009-08-23 00:01:50
Sorry.  It's just that they will be making less appearances in this, in fact, I might not even show one.  The other two kinds will be playing somewhat large roles, so…yeah…Just in case you want to know, Maruts hunt those that deny the grave.  People that extend their lives through magic and such.  So there, happy?

P.S. Just so you know, I really like dwarves, and as such, the best parts will most likely go to them.  So if you don't like dwarves, consider yourself warned.

Date: 2009-08-26 03:13:58
*Ahem*

CHAPTER 1 The Dwarven Blacksmith

Gildman Rockhammer grumbled as he sat by the kiln.  He hated this war.  Sure, it brought him business, but it also made him overwork.  It's not that he didn't like blacksmithing, but too much was too much.  A voice could barely be heard through the noise of metal hitting metal.  "What is it?" Gildman called out, "Another warrior wanting a piece of armour?  Well, if it is, too bad.  I'm busy making some special armour for…"

"Gildman Rockhammer!  Long time no see!" The voice yelled out, Gildman recognized it as his long lost friend Ferkad Stonesmason, "How's life been treating you?"

"Ferkad?" Gildman said from his place at the kiln, wiping the sweat from his brow, "We haven't met in fifteen years, and you're still the same still the same as I remember." The stocky Dwarf rose and greeeted his friend.  "As for how life has been, I'd say…Terrible.  The demand for armor and weapons is so high, I've got swords comin' outta my ears and steel sweat.  This war is driving me crazy, I can't stand it… But enough about me.  How's it been going for you?"

"You really wanna know?" the harsh-looking dwarf said quieter, and Gildman nodded, "I'm part of a rebel group.  Completely opposed to the war and trying to make peace." Ferkad said while getting closer to his old friend.

"What!?" Gildman yelled, then realizing the meant secrecy of this matter. "Which one?  All of them I know of have alll been disbanded or completely destroyed."

"This one hasn't." Ferkad whispered hoarsely, "In fact, this one was the first rebel group to ever exist.  We now have over three hundred member as well."

"Three hundred members?" Gildman asked, "Most groups have about ten members, but three hundred?  That's amazing!"

"Yes, it is.  This group is called the Triad, and all members have either Dwarf, Human, or Elf blood.  Hence the name.  This cave is getting quite stuffy. Why don't we head outside?"  Nodding, Gildman started walking out. Once they got outside, and found a spot where they could speak in private, they started talking again.

"So," Gildman sighed, "The three main races of Giande?  What's the prevailent rece?  Humans?"

"No." Ferkad said with a grin, "There is no prevailant race.  All is equal there.  Even if there was a prevailant race, it would be hardly noticable.  As we are all brothers and sisters fighting against this war."

"Really?" Gildman questioned, "That's amazing!  How do we get there?  Is there some secret passage or something."

"There is, but I have something that is much easier." Ferkad then pulled out a scroll from his pocket.  "A Path Scroll.  I can just use it to get back to our hideout." He then started muttering some strange magic words.  Gildman knew a little about how Path Scrolls worked.  Each has a unique incantation on it that only works twice.  Once to get you to a place that you know of as a center for everything.  This could be a town, a friend's house, or even just an encampment.

As Ferkad finished the incantation, a strange blue light enveloped the pair.  It eventually got to the point of where they could see nothing except a field of blue light.  When it dissapated, there were walls around them.  A female Elf saw them appear and greeted them.  "Welcome back, Ferkad." She said, then she saw Gildman, "Is this your friend that you were talking about?  My name is Arianna Treesong, welcome to the Triad."

No, Arianna will not be that recurring of a character…Anyway, my first introductory chapter.

Date: 2009-08-31 11:13:34
Very good chapter, I wish to hear more!

Date: 2009-10-07 20:58:11
Well, I may be back from my hiatus.  I sorta forgot about this place, and I also had creativity block for a long time.  Here's chapter 2…

[size=4]Chapter 2:  The Elven Bowyer

It was getting late, and Eldrin was just about to close shop.  As a bowyer, he divided his time between making and selling bows for the many archers of the Grendulir Forest.  He heard the door open.  "Hello?" He called out, "I was just about to close.  You came at the right time."

"Why would I ever buy anything from you?" Came a high-pitched voice, "You're my cousin!" Eldrin sighed, it was his little cousin, Falien.  Falien was a few years younger than Eldrin, and quite the opposite.  While Eldrin was calm and usually silent, Falien was high-strung and talkative.  When it came to strangers however, you couldn't get him to talk at all, and he was even worse when it came to anything out of the norm.

"What do you want?" Eldrin said, obviously already annoyed, "I was just about to head home and get some sleep.  What could possibly tempt me to not do that?"

Falien paused for a moment.  "Well," he said, stumbling on what to say, "Obviously nothing, but I needed to tell you something import-"

"Just get on with it," Eldrin interrupted, still annoyed, "Please."

"Okay!" Falien came back sassily, "Alright, so I've heard rumours of a rebel group lying in the mountains of Calior, but nobody has been able to find them, let alone report them.  I think that we should try to find it, and perhaps join."

"Have you become crazy, Fal?" Eldrin snapped, "Calior is too far away, we can't walk there, and someone may find out what we're doing.  We'll never make it Fal, we just won't."

"How do you know?" Falien yelled back to him, "Neither of us have ever done anything like this, we haven't even left the forest.  We need to try though, we can't just stay here forever."

Eldrin stood agape.  Falien had grown much since he found out how bad the war was.  More than even he himself had grown.  "Okay Fal, I'll do it.  Let me get some things together, and we'll leave in the morning.  The forest is dangerous of a night, I don't know what will happen if we don't get out of it by nightfall tomorrow."

The two went home seperately.  Each of them packed their things, and fell asleep, visions of what may happen haunting their sleep.

To be Continued in chapter 4

Put the story on a slightly different note here.  I had fun writing this chapter.

Date: 2009-10-23 21:55:35
[size=5]Chapter 3: A Theif's daughter[/size]

It was a cold night in Gigenka, seemingly much colder than normal for this time of year. Alisea, a young girl who seemed much older than she actually was, sat quietly in a room with only a bed and a small table with a stool.

The room was well lit by the single candle on the table. This building was like all the others in this city; stone walls, wood floors, two stories, and quite drab and monotonous in Aliseas opinion.

Closing the book she was reading, she blew out the candle, only to hear the door downstairs open and shut. Father, she called out, Is that you? She could never have been worried that whoever came in could harm her.

Were leaving, she heard the harsh voice of her father say, we are leaving, and perhaps never coming back. Alisea gasped and ran down the stairs.

But Father! she cried out, Why must we leave? We cant be in any danger, can we? Her father looked at her with caring eyes.

I only barely escaped. The city guards found the guild. There were only a few survivors. I was lucky enough to get out. They know that I am part of the guild. We must get out of the city, or theyll kill us both. Alisea looked at her father with disbelief. Thoughts and questions ran through her mind.

How could they have possibly found the Thieves Guild? Was there a traitor? If so, who could it possibly be? Alright, she said, trying to fake the confidence that she could not feel, If were leaving, Ill get my spell book, as well never be able to find another. With that, she ran upstairs.

Just like her mother, her father chuckled, She will grow to be a strong woman. It truly is too bad that she never met her mother.

Alisea ran back down the stairs. Im ready, she said with that same fake confidence, lets go. Pausing for a moment, her father looked at her. At her copper hair, her emerald eyes; he had not looked at her like this for years. Time had flown by, to him, it seemed like only yesterday she was knee-high to him, begging him to play.

He quickly snapped out of it. Blowing out the final candle, he made sure Alisea was ready. She told him that she was, and they left, perhaps forever, or, as Alisea thought, perhaps not.

Kinda forgot about this forum….

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-10-24 13:04:25
Good lord, that is a giant font!  Could you make it smaller?

Date: 2009-10-25 09:57:45
Sorry 'bout that, this is the only forum where BBCode breaks like that for me.

Date: 2009-10-29 18:22:46
I very much like your work.

Keep writing.

Date: 2009-10-30 18:01:14
[size=5]Chapter 4: The dawn of more than a day

As the dawn rose, Eldrin was just walking out of his home.  A quick look around the small village of Sesaris told him that Falien had not woken yet. "Come on Fal," he mumbled to himself impatiently, "we can't afford to lose time.  You'll get us cau-"

"Hey Eldrin!" Eldrin looked behind him at the familiar figure of Falien.  "So, what were you saying?"  Eldrin stared at the younger elf blankly.

"Nevermind," he sighed, wanting to go as soon as they could, "Let's just go, we have to get out of this forest by nightfall.  Should we take the river, or go by foot?"  Falien stared at Eldrin, in disbelief. "I say by foot, the river will take us into Fakaltan, into which we most likely should not go."

"Agreed." Falien said quietly, "If there's one thing I know, we mustn't go into territory that we don't need to go in."

"Are you all prepared, Fal?" Eldrin asked with a hint of authority, "We can't be packing too light, this is a long journey."

"Yes," Falien said exasperatedly, "I made sure to get everything I might need.  I have provisions, my staff, my bow, some healing herbs, and many other things."

"Good, we'll need those." Eldrin said back, "I also have many supplies.  We have to go as soon as we can, the dawn is already here."

"Yes we do," Falien declared, "If we don't leave now, we'll never make it out of the forest by nightfall."  With that, the two set off, not saying another word until they had gotten out of hearing range of the village.  Heading southwest, they crossed the Eldaz River, across that old wooden bridge.  "What do you think is out there?  Past the forest, I mean." Falien broke the silence, "I mean other than the humans, other than anything we know about.  Also, what lies outside what we know of the world, I mean, there are the other planes, but there's so much of the world that's…"

"Fal," Eldrin interrupted, "Don't think about that kind of stuff.  It's not important right now.  What does matter, is that we get out of the forest by nightfall."