Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Writing

"MissingNo. Journal", aka "Stop Being Dumb, 12 Year-Old Me" - Page 1

"MissingNo. Journal", aka "Stop Being Dumb, 12 Year-Old Me"

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2012-10-05 20:00:19
So I was rummaging through some old stuff I did for nostalgia and came across something I did called the "MissingNo. Journal", which is comparable to a typical review done by the Irate Gamer. I figured you guys might get a kick (or become consumed with rage, I dunno) out of seeing the stupid s**t I wrote.

And yes, when I first wrote this, I thought it was genius. And yes, I am aware of how smug and egotistical I sound. I apologize if the tone makes you punch your computer monitor in rage. If it makes you feel any better, I'm not as dumb as I was when I was 12.

Title Page:
"MISSINGNO. JOURNAL". There are two pictures of MissingNo., one as his normal pixel form, and the other as the ghost.

Day 1
I was 11 years old at the time when I first heard about the Missingno creature. I had typed the name into Google and it said how to get it. I had also heard about the many dangers about it, and I wanted to investigate it.
(Sorry if this sounds like somebody already put this).

Finding it
I had to talk to the old man who shows you how to catch Pokemon. I also had to make the item I want to make infinite of the 6th item in by Backpack. I had a BIKE there, so I replaced it with Rare Candy. I went to Cinnabar Island and surfed up and down the right edge. I found nothing but Electrod over level 100 for about 5 minutes, but then my screen went blank for about 5 seconds. I found something that looked like a half eaten Kit Kat bar. Its name was all messed up, but it was over level 100 too. I ran from it and tried surfing again. I found something that looked like the same thing, only this one had the cry of Zapdos. It said on my screen MISSINGNO. APPEARED. I thought: That looks like the same thing I saw earlier. Before I battled it, I checked my items. I had 100 Rare Candies!! I decided to run from this one too, and duplicate my Master Ball.

Day 2
The next day I made my Master Ball the 6th item. I found M, and caught it. I kept on surfing, and I found a Tentacool, only it wasn't facing me! My Charizard, Spud, wasn't facing the Tentacool, either! I got to thinking: Why would the game designers put this creature in the game? Then it hit me. It wasn't put in there. I later found out it only exists due to an error in the game program. Just because my pictures were messed up didn't stop me. I shut off my game and tried again.

Day 3
I wanted to see what would happen if I nicknamed it. I heard that if you name it a Pokemon (I.e: Mew), it would evolve into it. It didn't work. My HOF, (Hall of Fame), though, had a Mew in it. It also had a bunch of weird stuff, but the weirdest one was that all over my screen, it said this:
Name: u5ow.
Level: 290
OT: Rocket
This made no sense. I also saw something that said LYNX SUCKS. My name was Lynx, and Missingno. had said I sucked.

Dangers
Missingno. had caused some problems in my game, and I took note of them:
Your graphics will be messed up.
Your game may crash (Thank God it didn't)!
Releasing it will still have your game messed up.

I had once heard about a guy who caught so many M's, that his game was messed up and he had to throw it out.
Cheats
Since it is known Missingno. can only be found in Red and Blue, there is no way you can find it in Yellow, Crystal, Silver, Gold, Ruby, Sapphire, Firered, Leafgreen, or Emerald. But you can find it in Yellow somehow. This is what I think you have to do.
1) Don't battle the Gambler near the Underground Path
2) don't battle the youngster with the level 7 Slowpoke
3) Go to Lavender Town and Battle a chaneller. (Make sure she walks up to you)
4) go to the route with the Gambler you were supposed to avoid. I think M will appear (Or Mew)

Evolution
Missingno. isn't the most famous Pokemon for anything other than messing up your game. It will, however, evolve. On Red and Blue, it'll evolve into Rhydon. On Yellow, it evolves into Kanghaskan. I am not sure if this is accurate, but it's the closest I can get. It won't matter if you name it a different Pokemon. It'll still evolve.

Theories on Missingno.
What would make the game designers put M and Missingno. in the game? Well, that is still a mystery. There are many mysteries surrounding it, and this is what I have to say.

Evolution- Why Kanghaskan and Rhydon? This is what I think. Missingno. is a Pokemon that's name is actually Missing Number, because it isn't in the PokeDex. The type is Bird/normal. In other words, normal. What Pokemon is slow and normal? Kanghaskan. When M evolves, it becomes Kanghaskan. As for Rhydon, I'm not quite sure on that one.

Why is it in there?
Missingno. is believed to be in the game as a game error, or as a purposely put glitch. 80% or more believe Missingno. exists due to a program error, and about 20% or less believe it was put there on purpose.

Missingno. forms
Missingno. has four shapes: An Aerodactyl fossil, a Kabutops fossil, a Ghost , and its normal shape. They are all Missingno., just a different shape. Their attacks may be different, but who's to say? Here's how you get them:
(These may not get you the one you want, so check the internet first)
Aerodactyl- when the 3rd, 5th, or 7th letter of your name is Y
Kabutops- when the 3rd, 5th, or 7th letter of your name is X
Ghost- when the 3rd, 5th, or 7th letter of you name is Z (I don't think the last one is correct)

Glitch City
This is one place you shoudl never save in. To get access to it, this is what you do:
1. Go the the Safari Zone.
2. Exit, and when the guy asks "Leaving early?" say "No".
3. Go back in the SF
4. fly to Cinnabar, and when you hear DING DONG, you'll be back in the SF. Exit and you will be in Glitch City.

Another Danger
Don't send M or Missingno. in other games. Nothing will happen, but your game may crash.

A LETTER FROM THE AUTHOR
————————————–
This is a simple run-down on the creature Missingno. This book should help you with finding it and what it can do. This book was very fun to make, and, as you can see, I know a lot about the creature (Bert note: Yes, I actually fucking went there). There are Websites that will tell you Missingno. These are your best bets:
www.wikipedia.com
www.google.com
www.ask.com
These websites show great info on Missingno, and some even have multiple Links so you can learn more about it!

Re: "MissingNo. Journal", aka "Stop Being Dumb, 12 Year-Old Me"

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2012-10-05 20:36:32
Well that was a very entertaining read.

Posted by: Don Watermeleon
Date: 2012-10-06 22:14:24
This is what I miss most about Pokemon glitches. There was a period of time when these glitches were such uncharted territory, that people viewed this wondrous unknown with a youthful vigor and curiosity. Because the Gen 1 games were so comically jumbled and disorganized in an effort to capitalize on every available piece of memory the original Gameboy cartridges could provide, all these shortcuts the programmers took created an organic world of glitches that even Nintendo themselves did not begin to understand. It felt as if people on Pokemon forums and related Internet communities, who knew a hell of a lot more than I did, were discovering some new glitch just about every month. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I'll never forget how it exulted me to no end to try out the Glitch City trick on an array of different maps, marveling at how each created its own little world with its own individual idiosyncracies and details, like being forced to run downwards if you entered Glitch City on cycling road. With so much out there to uncover, everyone felt like Sherlock Holmes and there was a magnificent innocence to investigating every minute nook and cranny of these games.

I don't know exactly, but I think the fervor has died down a lot by now, as finally people have managed to dig through every single line of game code and hexadecimal values to catalogue every glitch possible. The first Gen was such a perfect storm of poor programming and low budget that we'll without a doubt never see a gold rush of glitch discoveries in any future Pokemon games on that scale again. Kind of like what's killed World of Warcraft: edification ruins the sense of "discovery".

Glad to hear you had the great fortune to enjoy this phenomena as a kid; my childhood was pretty similar. Feel bad for the poor saps growing up on Black and White though, they don't know what they're missing, and even if they do go play the old games to try out the glitches that discovery element which really sparked our intellectual curiosity is sadly no more.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2012-10-06 23:22:24
Geez Don, it's been a while hasn't it?

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2012-10-09 21:37:10

This is what I miss most about Pokemon glitches. There was a period of time when these glitches were such uncharted territory, that people viewed this wondrous unknown with a youthful vigor and curiosity. Because the Gen 1 games were so comically jumbled and disorganized in an effort to capitalize on every available piece of memory the original Gameboy cartridges could provide, all these shortcuts the programmers took created an organic world of glitches that even Nintendo themselves did not begin to understand. It felt as if people on Pokemon forums and related Internet communities, who knew a hell of a lot more than I did, were discovering some new glitch just about every month. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I'll never forget how it exulted me to no end to try out the Glitch City trick on an array of different maps, marveling at how each created its own little world with its own individual idiosyncracies and details, like being forced to run downwards if you entered Glitch City on cycling road. With so much out there to uncover, everyone felt like Sherlock Holmes and there was a magnificent innocence to investigating every minute nook and cranny of these games.

I don't know exactly, but I think the fervor has died down a lot by now, as finally people have managed to dig through every single line of game code and hexadecimal values to catalogue every glitch possible. The first Gen was such a perfect storm of poor programming and low budget that we'll without a doubt never see a gold rush of glitch discoveries in any future Pokemon games on that scale again. Kind of like what's killed World of Warcraft: edification ruins the sense of "discovery".

Glad to hear you had the great fortune to enjoy this phenomena as a kid; my childhood was pretty similar. Feel bad for the poor saps growing up on Black and White though, they don't know what they're missing, and even if they do go play the old games to try out the glitches that discovery element which really sparked our intellectual curiosity is sadly no more.

holy shit its don
now that i'm over that initial shock
BLESS THIS POST
well said