Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Website Advertisement

Dream Portal - Page 1

Dream Portal

Posted by: ccbtimewiz
Date: 2009-10-19 23:40:27
http://dream-portal.net/

Dream Portal is a portal system designed to function with SMF (Simple Machines Forum).

It is coded using AJAX, an XML+Javascript system that lets developers create streamlined but detailed pages to display information. It is easily configurable, using a simple drag-and-drop placing method for the different modules, or blocks of information, which allows a user to display all the desired information with very little effort.

Users can also create and save multiple layouts by name, allowing use of different layouts for different membergroups, users, or simply the ability to change between several different configurations at will.

Re: Dream Portal

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-10-20 19:41:56
Seems pretty nice, but I don't get exactly what it's for.

Date: 2009-10-20 20:14:22
Dream Portal is a portal system designed to function with SMF (Simple Machines Forum).

Date: 2009-10-20 20:34:09
Sorry for being such a n00b, but I don't exactly know what a portal is.  To the best of my knowledge, it's a page that links to many other pages on the site.  I'm not so sure that's correct.

Date: 2009-10-20 21:22:48
Dream Portal allows you to extend a forum into more so a "website". You can add custom pages, create articles and display them on a "homepage", and add "modules" around the articles to make it feel more integrated.

Date: 2009-10-20 22:49:16

Dream Portal allows you to extend a forum into more so a "website". You can add custom pages, create articles and display them on a "homepage", and add "modules" around the articles to make it feel more integrated.

Very interesting – I can see some major uses for this!  I would assume that you are part of this project, correct?

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-10-20 22:51:20

Very interesting – I can see some major uses for this!  I would assume that you are part of this project, correct?

I believe he is the creator of that portal, yes.

On a related note - the old glitchcity.net was powered by Tiny Portal, which was one of the first portals of this kind for SMF. Back then Tiny Portal was in a very early stage of development (I was in fact a beta tester for TP)

Edit: Wayback Machine link for the historically oriented

Date: 2009-10-21 13:23:44

I believe he is the creator of that portal, yes.

On a related note - the old glitchcity.net was powered by Tiny Portal, which was one of the first portals of this kind for SMF. Back then Tiny Portal was in a very early stage of development (I was in fact a beta tester for TP)

Edit: Wayback Machine link for the historically oriented

:O

You should totally use Dream Portal when it releases.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-10-21 14:47:34
We have no need for a portal at this time (we are currently using a custom-built CMS that I'm getting ready to release and are right now transitioning to MediaWiki). Thanks for the offer, though. I might find some use for it in the future.