Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Website Advertisement

Web design and site layout - Page 1

Web design and site layout

Posted by: sumudrauk
Date: 2010-05-04 05:24:58
Unless a website has visually appealing layout the chances are

that the website visitors are sure to give website a miss. In

the first instance the website should catch the fancy of the

visitors and this would automatically direct the engage the

online visitors through out the web design site.

Re: Web design and site layout

Posted by: Gamefreak
Date: 2010-05-04 11:56:21
There's a lot to website design. I have my own site, so I'll add a bit of detail.

-Members should have an easy time getting around - a nav bar of some sort should be on every page of the website.
-Content, content, content. You can have the prettiest design on the Internet, but if you don't have anything interesting, not many people will join.
-People first look at webpages in an F-pattern format. Use this to your advantage - a banner is useful.
-It's always better to omit something than give a dead link, or a 'under construction!' message.
-Make custom and meaningful error pages. Honestly, do you like it when you click on something, and you get a white page with just 'ERROR 404' at the top left in big, black, bold text?
-If you're writing articles, don't put it all in one big, huge, giant paragraph. Breaking it up gives peoples' eyes "rest spots", and they will more likely read the whole thing.

Re: Web design and site layout

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-05-04 11:59:49
There's not much to being banned. I have done it before, so I'll do it again and lock this topic.
EDIT: Hmm, my mistake, reversed Gamefreak's ban. sumudrauk is banned for now though.