Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games

Missingno.exe - a Pokémon glitch quiz (TheZZAZZGlitch's April Fools' event 2016) - Page 1

Missingno.exe - a Pokémon glitch quiz (TheZZAZZGlitch's April Fools' event 2016)

Posted by: TheZZAZZGlitch
Date: 2016-04-02 10:53:07
I might have gone too far. The game has become self-aware.
Save me from the grasps of MISSINGNO., the world's ultimate glitch creature.

This small game is something special I made for this year's April Fools' Day (original video). It's already 2nd of April, so I decided to publish the game here as a fun challenge.

I might have been a bit inconsiderate when researching Pokémon glitches. I was captured by MISSINGNO. and sent into his world. Now, you need to save me, and MISSINGNO. really wants you to answer a few questions in the meantime…

Oh, and there's also an online high score list - that's what the event is about.
All participants will have their names, scores and messages showcased in a special video on my channel.

Features!
Screenshots!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/YuPEcOy.png[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/7y9MknW.png[/img]

Download!

http://zzazz.ml/zzazz/fools2016/missingno.exe

Note: For some unknown reason, Microsoft Security Essentials recognizes this game as a virus. It's most likely because of the code obfuscation techniques used to prevent people from examining the game too easily. To make things even worse, Chrome will also treat the executable as 'unsafe', since Chrome pretty much blocks any EXE that is not commonly downloaded. These are all just false-positives. A virus would make a really bad joke, don't you think? I miss the times when you could make shitty fangames in RPG Maker or something, send them to the Internet and no one would ever complain.

Also, people reported problems with running this game on 64-bit Windows 10 machines. The framework used to create this game was released 9 years ago - this was to be expected. But I didn't have anything better handy, and I had to code the game in a few days. The game runs fine on Wine - there may be some problems with sound, but they can be fixed by installing additional

High scores!

http://zzazz.ml/zzazz/fools2016/

The high score list will be active for the next 2 days (until 4th of April 2016 14:30:00 GMT).

Re: Missingno.exe - a Pokémon glitch quiz (TheZZAZZGlitch's April Fools' event 2016)

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2016-04-02 14:14:15
i did all of this for nothing

of course the "times played" anti bonus is preventing me from getting on the leaderboard

fucking hell

i guess i'll settle for around 16th place

Re: Missingno.exe - a Pokémon glitch quiz (TheZZAZZGlitch's April Fools' event 2016)

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-04-02 19:11:05

It's most likely because of the code obfuscation techniques used to prevent people from examining the game too easily.

This sentence made me treat this as a reversing challenge.

That was easy. Not saying anything here to stop people from cheating of course.

Deliberately getting some questions wrong helps to get into the actual leaderboard though - and that wasn't me forgetting that the answer key was 0-based, not 1-based, definitely not.

Posted by: TheZZAZZGlitch
Date: 2016-04-02 23:59:42
This sentence made me treat this as a reversing challenge.

So that should be an easy challenge. The protection was designed to stop script kiddies who know how to type "game maker decompiler" and "cheat engine download" into Google, not actual people who think. It's not a crackme.

Only having some simple code obfuscation causes at least 2 antivirus detections, and the video's comment section is filled with people wanting to try it on a VM or in a sandbox. Imagine what would happen if I tried something more (maybe I should've, because I'm deleting 2-3 hacked scores every day).

Edit: I didn't read the whole post.

That was easy.

I knew it.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2016-04-04 00:36:58

[li]If someone plays this game, could you count the Undertale references for me? I'm not very good at it.[/li]

Well, here's one! :P