Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

R/B/Y Pokemon Image Locations - Page 1

R/B/Y Pokemon Image Locations

Posted by: Vitro
Date: 2007-11-13 21:37:53
Ive herd that you cant edit them but that just has to be BS, Dose anyone know were in the rom the pokemon images are located? Im trying to find them myself but it takes forever trying to look threw the whole rom and moving and entering data into adress 9000 while in a battle to see whats there. If i do find them ill make sure to post it here

Re: R/B/Y Pokemon Image Locations

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2007-11-13 21:56:27
Sure they can be edited, but they're compressed. There's basically no chance of editing the images without a decompressor to see what you're doing… unfortunately, the only one out is for the German versions of the game.

Posted by: Vitro
Date: 2007-11-14 19:28:26
aww, times like this i wish i was a better programmer

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-11-16 17:58:31
Wouldn't all you have to do is hack the program to change the location of the data that is read. The pictures are the same.

Edit: I say it as if it is easy

Date: 2007-11-16 20:25:01
Well, if you manage to find the ASM routine that decompresses the image, you could modify it to use regular images (and thus more space)…

Posted by: Ashandmisty
Date: 2008-10-17 07:14:53
I've opened the rom up in a tileditor and found the compressed images. wouldnt take much to decompress them.

Date: 2008-10-17 12:13:21
It?s not decompressing that?s the problem. Recompressing new images is currently impossible.

Date: 2008-10-18 06:39:41

It?s not decompressing that?s the problem. Recompressing new images is currently impossible.

Oh I see what you mean. Couldn't you reverse the process? A few people tried this with Tomb Raider, they tried ripping the compressed models from the game. They were successful. Then with a months hard work they manage to recompress them. It's harder to compress than to decompress i noticed.

Date: 2008-10-18 08:20:21

Oh I see what you mean. Couldn't you reverse the process? A few people tried this with Tomb Raider, they tried ripping the compressed models from the game. They were successful. Then with a months hard work they manage to recompress them. It's harder to compress than to decompress i noticed.

In theory, yes we could reverse the process. In practice it is very difficult to write a compressor even if you know the decompression algorithm. It looks like in Tomb Raider?s case, some people were motivated enough to write a compression method for the game; right now I don?t know of anyone who?s willing or capable to do the same for R/B/Y.

Date: 2008-10-19 04:10:58

In theory, yes we could reverse the process. In practice it is very difficult to write a compressor even if you know the decompression algorithm. It looks like in Tomb Raider?s case, some people were motivated enough to write a compression method for the game; right now I don?t know of anyone who?s willing or capable to do the same for R/B/Y.

I see what you mean. Aha!! I just realised something. You might want to have a chat with Coolboyman about this because he plans to implement Johto Pokemon into Brown v1.2, apparently he has fully programmed the Pokemon in he is just working on the pictures. Maybe he has a method?