Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Help with Advance Text - Page 1

Help with Advance Text

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2008-02-06 19:47:59
A error message comes up when I try to use Advance Text.
Help?

Re: Help with Advance Text

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2008-02-06 20:36:19
Whts the error message you get?

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2008-02-07 10:01:41
In general, it's better to use a hex editor and table file to change the text in a game, rather than using game-specific tools.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2008-02-07 10:48:34

In general, it's better to use a hex editor and table file to change the text in a game, rather than using game-specific tools.

I agree, though it is difficult if you want to edit graphics, but for text- find and edit on any game, hex editor is always better.
And it does more of course…

Date: 2008-02-09 19:24:58

I agree, though it is difficult if you want to edit graphics, but for text- find and edit on any game, hex editor is always better.
And it does more of course…

But it seems that the Advance Text would work easier. [size=0pt](For me of course. I'm only 10.)[/size]

Date: 2008-02-09 21:27:02

But it seems that the Advance Text would work easier. [size=0pt](For me of course. I'm only 10.)[/size]

It's quicker, but limiting. You can't edit all the text in the game with AdvanceText, whereas you can with a hex editor. You can also modify lots of games with a hex editor, while AdvanceText is presumably limited to a few. Learning hex is very beneficial in the long run.

That being said, it's your choice. I know what I'd do, but your tastes may be different.

Date: 2008-02-09 22:19:20

It's quicker, but limiting. You can't edit all the text in the game with AdvanceText, whereas you can with a hex editor. You can also modify lots of games with a hex editor, while AdvanceText is presumably limited to a few. Learning hex is very beneficial in the long run.

That being said, it's your choice. I know what I'd do, but your tastes may be different.

What are some of the best hex editors around?

Date: 2008-02-09 23:15:37
Translhextion is a useful one. Its main problem is that it loads the entire ROM into your computer's RAM, which may be bad for larger files; I don't hack anything larger than 2 megs, so it's not a big problem for me. How big do GBA games tend to be?

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2008-02-10 00:13:16

Translhextion is a useful one. Its main problem is that it loads the entire ROM into your computer's RAM, which may be bad for larger files; I don't hack anything larger than 2 megs, so it's not a big problem for me. How big do GBA games tend to be?
16mb I think

Date: 2008-02-10 13:55:18

16mb I think

Yeah it is.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2008-03-28 16:12:27
Don't most people have more than 16MB of RAM?

Date: 2008-03-28 18:01:10

Don't most people have more than 16MB of RAM?

Yeah.
But I'm not saving something that big onto my RAM.