Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

I'm sorry, I feel like a n00b for asking but.. - Page 1

I'm sorry, I feel like a n00b for asking but..

Posted by: baby_fire
Date: 2008-03-12 23:42:47
How do you use a gameshark? By that, I mean how do you input the codes? I know how to put the numbers in, however, I'm not sure about the columns.

Bleh, let's try that again.

Ok. I'm trying to put the code in for the walk through walls cheat on pokemon blue, and I don't want to mess up my game. It looks like it involves two codes. 010138CD and 010139CD. Am I supposed to punch in the first code on the first row of columns, then the second after it? Or should I put the first code on the top row and the second on the bottom? Or does it really matter?

I tried looking on the website and couldn't find it. (The help page didn't even come up) Normally, I would try one way, if that didn't work, I'd try another, but I really don't want to screw up my game by doing that. (I'd much rather use charazard 'M for that. xp)

This is actually my second time using the gameshark. The first being when I tried the get all starter pokemon code for my gold version, but because of that, I couldn't continue my game and had to start over; witch makes me kinda scared of using a gameshark.

I would really appreciate some help and tips. Thank you.

Re: I'm sorry, I feel like a n00b for asking but..

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2008-03-13 09:28:19
Well, I would always put the first code first and the second second but I suppose unless the effects must work in sequence (which they probably wouldn't) it wouldn't matter. It would still change both the offsets needed, so yeah.

Dunno if this was helpful or not…

Date: 2008-03-13 17:17:56
It was a little helpful. I'll try that.

Edit: Ok, I tried it and nothing happened. I just might need step by step instructions.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2008-03-13 20:07:22
The order doesn't matter because Gameshark codes edit specific memory locations.

By "nothing happened," do you mean you started the game but with no effect, or there was just a solid white or black screen? 010138CD and 010139CD are the correct codes. You may have to flip a switch if you're using a physical Gameshark.

Date: 2008-03-13 23:27:54
I mean it had no effect. It toled me to flip the switch and I did but nothing still happened. Also their's a button on top that I have no idea what it's for.

Those are the codes I used.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2008-03-13 23:56:23
I believe the button just returns you to the Gameshark title screen.

Are you sure you flipped the switch to the right direction? Try it both ways, because that's definitely the switch that turns on the code.

Date: 2008-03-14 08:49:27
I tried the switch one way, and it says, "Move switch to off for this game."

Edit: Ok, after the game started, I moved the switch back to on I guess and it worked. =3

Thanks for the help.

*Uses code to go to Saffron city early.* Not as glitchy as I hoped….

Posted by: Kannoniswrong11
Date: 2008-03-22 21:05:21
Hehe. Glitches rule!
And if it doesnt work in the future flip the switch until your hand falls off if you know what I mean.
GLITCHES PWNN.

Date: 2008-03-23 16:35:19
It's been working quite well now.