Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

I used a Master Ball outside battle without Memory Viewer? - Page 1

I used a Master Ball outside battle without Memory Viewer?

Posted by: The
Date: 2008-03-15 21:38:52
Okay, I'll see if this can be recreated later, but here's how it happened. Today I was playing around with the instant trainer encounter code and the really long code in the Gameshark codes document that's supposed to let you steal Pok?mon from trainers. I think I was battling a glitched version of Koga (hex EE). You're supposed to keep turning the Gameshark switch on and off until you see an "S" in the upper right-hand corner of the screen, but I kept toggling and toggling (a rather laborious process when you have to use primitive old KiGB and you have to uncheck the codes individually) to no avail; I kept seeing a B. I eventually turned off the code and let all his Pok?mon become "frozen" and faint. I had also turned off the instant encounter code and turned on Walk Through Walls, I believe. When the battle was over, I noticed that I couldn't get any wild random encounters. For fun, I decided to try using one of the Master Balls I had gotten using another cheat outside of battle and was surprised to see that the usual freak-out happened, with the semi-congratulatory music and the overworld momentarily ceasing to make sense. When it was over, I noticed that there was a trail to my right made out of slices of my character's head that seemed to mirror the path of my movements. Using walk through walls, I went up to Pewter City. The NPCs' movements were kind of irregular; sometimes their sprites seemed to change when they walked, and other times they just slid along.

This can also be accomplished just by using walk through walls, but I also managed to get to what I have assumed to be that fabled grassy area next to Pallet Town. I talked to the guy who tries to take you to the Pewter City museum (or was it the gym? I don't remember now) with walk through walls still turned on, and instead of following him, my character kept going… and going… and going through different terrain to the far right of all the territory. Some really funny things appeared along the way, including the lying-down sprite of the old man who wanted his coffee drifting along. Some of the territory included grass that seemed to match up with an area far to the east of Pallet Town, even though I know that's technically impossible because it's a "bounding block." I also got to what seemed to be water above Cinnabar, with the appropriate music playing.

EDIT: I found one combination of codes that seems to allow you to use Master Balls in this way:
01998CD1
01FF8DD1
01FF8ED1
019993D1
019994D1
019995D1
019996D1
010157D0
01011ED3

I've caught a couple of Weedles and Dittos and one 'M/Rhydon…

EDIT: Well, you guys are a bunch of party poopers. I just discovered that when you throw the Masterball, you usually end up capturing the Pok?mon you last encountered. And since now all the trainers in my game show up as HP-less wild Pok?mon or just "wild," I believe I can capture them too after battle, but they appear as 'M/Rhydons.

Re: I used a Master Ball outside battle without Memory Viewer?

Posted by: Kannoniswrong11
Date: 2008-03-23 18:40:09
Ahhh the good times :D
This has happened to me before I used to do it in Blue alllll the time.
I'd put on an encounter code or something then use the unlimited amount of Master Balls I had…ahhh good times.

You catch the PKMN you last encountered?
Bah try putting the encounter code on.