Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

TMtrainer-like effect in G/S...? - Page 1

TMtrainer-like effect in G/S...?

Posted by: The
Date: 2008-04-28 17:31:03
I think I've discovered a weird little quirk that produces TMtrainer-like effects in Pok?mon Silver, at least. By entering the code 010018D1, which I believe is the code to get a wild encounter with ?????, then enabling it as soon as I enter a trainer battle (but before I press A on the "So and so wants to battle!" screen), I can cause strangely-colored Pok?mon from the trainer's party to appear after the battle, talking (I know this has been reported already, as someone mentioned a "talking purple Quagsire"). In certain battles in Kanto, a strange "fuzz" sometimes descends over all the text and more TMtrainer-like effects occur. Sometimes the game behaves as if it's in a link battle ? a glitched "Waiting…!" sign appears when I select "run" or even "Pkmn." The items pack becomes completely glitched and unopenable, and sometimes Pok?mon that I never had, such as Pidgeot in the place of Quilava, are sent into battle. The opponent also sometimes looks like a Minimize or Substitute version  of itself.

I acknowledge this isn't like TMtrainer in that:
1. It can only be carried out using a gameshark.
2. Most of its effects are different.

Also, I apologize for the misnomers like "Missingno" and "trade center" and my exclamation of "so cute!" at the substitute doll… lol… they were screenshots taken at split-second intervals, and a lot of the names are simply my attempts at coming up with filenames quickly.

However, it's still glitchy and interesting, right? RIGHT!?

Re: TMtrainer-like effect in G/S...?

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2008-04-28 18:19:59
*Stares at glitchiness*

Re: TMtrainer-like effect in G/S...?

Posted by: Bassmasta
Date: 2008-04-28 19:15:40
I have done something similar like that in my Crystal cartridge. Back when my Blue version worked, I did a method I call the Glitch Trade (pulling and removing the link cable when trading with another game) and got a Level 255 Ponyta with four glitch moves TM55. I used it in a battle and got it reverted to Level 100 and evolved into a Rapidash. I got bored and tried to trade it to my Gold version. This was before I knew that evolved Q Glitch-esque Pokemon would be able to get traded to GSC, and I was surprised when it let me trade. When I used the moves in a battle in Gold, the game restarted with funky colors. When I tried it in Crystal, however, the screen looked similar to how it did in the first screenshot, however, I couldn't see the enemy Pokemon until I attacked, which was turned into a Kingdra. After a few minutes, the game gets caught in a never-ending loop of you getting statused (the game says things like "*your Pokemon's name* is hurt by the poison," "*your Pokemon's name* is Paralyzed! It can't attack!" etc.)