Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Map hacking? - Page 1

Map hacking?

Posted by: HTMLCODER.exe
Date: 2008-11-26 16:52:16
I've been fiddling with the memviewer in VBA, and I guess I've found something funny… These seem to be the map current x,y offsets [attachment=1](I circled in red these I am completely sure of, and some besides them I need to check.) . Setting these to FF (;) caused some funny effects to the poor New Bark Town…[attachment=2] . Also, it seemed like all objects and movement permission data were in their normal places, but map tiles got.. uh… scrambled, resulting in some black void, Jesus-esque water-walking, tree-climbing and so on. The condition is cancelled by triggering any event - talking to soeone, walking outside the town (as I haven't any pokemon) or entering a house. The FF FF setting transferred me to where the PLAYER's house douur would be.
EDIT:
the top two of circled values seem to do nothing. Also, found something funny in VRAM, offsets at  8000…:
[attachment=3]
offset: 8000
8x16 bit each quarter of the sprite
1 row = 16 bit 2 bit for each pixel
also, 4x16x8 for each image
512 bits== 64 bytes pr image
8000: player>
8000-803A
1: down, static
8040-807A
2: up, static
8080-80BA
3: side, static //both left and right, since it just gets mirrorred

80C0-819A
??? Filled with Fs and 0s

the bits are interleaved.
1234====0011001101010101
(1,2,3,4 stands for a color in a 4-color palette)
More to come!