Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Does anybody know how to make a ROM? - Page 1

Does anybody know how to make a ROM?

Posted by: crazysquid34
Date: 2009-01-21 18:24:28
Can somebody tell me how to make a Rom without an online program that may crash my computer?

Re: Does anybody know how to make a ROM?

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-01-21 19:03:54
Learn to program, and then find a compiler that will compile to the executable format used by the target system. It's the same as compiling a program for Windows or Mac, really

Date: 2009-01-21 19:07:33
I know how to get it into a program, I just need to know how to program in the commands, sprites, etc.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-01-21 19:14:38
If you mean for VIDEO GAME CONSOLES though (as that's what ROM seems to be implying here and the fact that this is in emulation) you need to learn what processor your console you're coding for is, find the assembly codes and learn how to make a header based off of that, proper game code and operands, proper compression and decompression algorithms, inserting compressed/uncompressed art by bitmap/raw vector manually by opening the files in a hex editor and typing out the contents of the file (after leaving out the pallete coding of the picture/vector), making sure the header is correct.

Not really that simpleā€¦

Date: 2009-01-21 19:24:13
thats why I want to work on one! It will blow some time away.