Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Velociraptor in Sonic the Hedgehog - Page 1

Velociraptor in Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-02-17 21:16:33
I suppose some of you are going "WTF? What is he talking about?" Well, my good friends I decided to Take the sprites from one of the Mega Drive/Genesis' greatest licensed titles: Jurassic Park Rampage Edition!

Errrrr…… Unfortunately the Velociraptor's Standing sprite refuses to import correctly. The first time I imported it the bottom half was all fucked up.

I even have a screeny.
[IMG]http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc353/glitchhunter09/s1built000.jpg[/img]

SonMapEd refuses to cooperate with me. Either Chimpo purposely made his tutorial to throw people off or My sprite is too big. What's funny is that Chimpo neglected to mention anything about larger sprites. So I don't know.

I chose the Raptor because It was cool and because it is from one of my favorite Genesis games. Being the swift and Agile creature he is he would fit well in a Sonic hack. Sadly though it seems his size poses a problem. I haven't tested it yet but most likely there will be problems with size on Loops.

Also I reimported the sprite to try again. This time however when I compiled the rom, the game came up with an error message upon level start. Something like " Something Emulator 1110."

Finally I had to recompile the old version so now needless to say I'm stuck with a garbled up raptor for the time being until I can figure out what the f**k is wrong. 

Edit: Here is a list of Features I plan to have for the Game (just as soon as I figure out what the f**k is wrong.):
New Sprites to replace Sonic with the JPRE Velociraptor.
Altered Collision.
Maybe some JPRE Sound effects. (If I get good enough at hacking anyways.)
Probably some special Abilities for the Raptor such as kicking and A double jump. (If I figure out how to add special abilities that is.
Maybe the Lysine Fever Effect so when It gets an Invincibility item the screen will turn red and the will instantly kill anything it touches.
Maybe a "Super Raptor" as a reward for collecting all of the Chaos Emeralds.
I'm probably going to change the maps but I actually am very bad at designing Layout Ideas so I don't know.

Re: Velociraptor in Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted by: amityvilletoaster1
Date: 2009-02-17 21:56:28
That is awesome!!! I mean, not the problem with the loading of the sprite, but the concept of the hack!!!! And ironically, I just got done playing Sonic the Hedgehog when I opened this :P

Date: 2009-02-18 14:35:06
Yeah. I'm going to try to import another Sprite later to see if anything changes. I just need to figure out which one though.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-02-18 14:41:02

I suppose some of you are going "WTF? What is he talking about?" Well, my good friends I decided to Take the sprites from one of the Mega Drive/Genesis' greatest licensed titles: Jurassic Park Rampage Edition!

Errrrr…… Unfortunately the Velociraptor's Standing sprite refuses to import correctly. The first time I imported it the bottom half was all fucked up.

I even have a screeny.
[IMG]http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc353/glitchhunter09/s1built000.jpg[/img]

SonMapEd refuses to cooperate with me. Either Chimpo purposely made his tutorial to throw people off or My sprite is too big. What's funny is that Chimpo neglected to mention anything about larger sprites. So I don't know.

I chose the Raptor because It was cool and because it is from one of my favorite Genesis games. Being the swift and Agile creature he is he would fit well in a Sonic hack. Sadly though it seems his size poses a problem. I haven't tested it yet but most likely there will be problems with size on Loops.

Also I reimported the sprite to try again. This time however when I compiled the rom, the game came up with an error message upon level start. Something like " Something Emulator 1110."

Finally I had to recompile the old version so now needless to say I'm stuck with a garbled up raptor for the time being until I can figure out what the fuck is wrong. 

You do realise using a sprite that big would need an entire rewrite of the collision data to conform to a sprite like that accurately or heads and tails will be going into walls amongst other things like confusion of how something hit you or why this part of the body doesn't give you rings when you collide with it. (For an example where this was rewritten (kinda) please see Robotnik in Sonic 1)

That 1110 Emulator is a crash error given when something with the game goes wrong.

Date: 2009-02-18 14:46:45
Can you tell me what to use to fix the Collision? Oh and also does that have to do with why my raptor is screwed up?

Date: 2009-02-18 15:11:52
Well, you'll need to actually use some kind of disassembly tool and then edit Sonic's Sonic 1 equivelent to Sonic 2's x radius, y radius, pixel width OST values to their desired working value.  If Sonic 1 x radius and y radius work anything like Sonic 2s, the you need to make the desired collision width and height pixels divided by two. (This does not mean SPRITE pixels, but the limit of what you want or do not want to go in walls or be considered parts that can be hurt/collect rings.  IE. Sonic's hair spikes can go in walls and can be hit by an enemy and it doesn't affect him.  Pixel width does have to be the same as the sprite porportions though.)

That has nothing to do with your raptor being screwed up, you may have improperly mapped your sprite, ported it, and/or have VRAM problems.

(I haven't worked with Sonic 1 so I don't really know if collision for sprites goes by the same routines as Sonic 2)

Date: 2009-02-18 15:50:17
I chose sonic 1 because there were a lot more tutorials for it on Sonic Retro. I did a disassembly and I've Tried Importing the sprite multiple times and each time something bad has happened. I'm not sure what is causing it either. As for your collision speech It all just flew over my head. Perhaps if Tweaker comes on he can help me with my problems. Then again I think Tweaker is annoyed by me. Not that I blame him as I am quite the irritating pest at times.

I'll just restart from scratch I guess.

Edit: WHY WON'T THIS STUPID PIECE OF s**t IMPORT CORRECTLY??!! AUGH!!! I'M SO FUCKING PISSED OFF THAT IT ISN'T FUNNY! THE SPRITE JUST WON"T SHOW UP IN THE GAME PROPERLY NO MATTER HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES I IMPORT IT AND READJUST THE MAPPINGS! EACH TIME ONE OF 3 THINGS HAPPENS!:
1. SOME RANDOM EFFECT HAPPENS  WHEN THE ROM IS COMPILED AND PLAYED!
2. THE SPRITE IMPORTS GARBLED UP IN SONMAPED!
3.I SCREW UP AND HAVE TO START ALL OVER AGAIN BECAUSE SOMEONE THOUGHT IT WOULD BE FUNNY NOT TO HAVE AN UNDO OPTION BUILT IN!

I'M SORRY FOR TYPING IN CAPS BUT THIS FUCKING PIECE OF s**t REFUSES TO COOPERATE FOR ME! I'M SO FRUSTRATED I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!>:(
SORRY FOR BLOWING UP LIKE THIS IT ISN'T ANYTHING PERSONAL!

Edit 2: I'm sorry but I lost my temper. I've cooled down now but unfortunately now since no god damn person wants to explain anything in detail I just can't finish this hack. The stupid Sprites don't want to work. Perhaps it has to do with them being Screenshot rips. (I'm not sure if they are but they sure do feel like it.)

Date: 2009-02-18 19:21:50
You do know there's a manual hex mapping import for ASM right?

Date: 2009-02-18 19:30:51
I don't know that much about ASM. Also I have no clue what good that will do. I'm certain it has to do with the sprites I want to use. I'm out of hack Ideas. (Unless of course I want to go Back to My Fenlix the Fox hacking idea but I don't feel like it and plus I can't create any "A" quality Sprites. Mine are either colored incorrectly or not properly shaded.)

Anyways how does this Manual Hex Mapping work?

I'm going topostpone this hack until I figure out how to fix the problem. (or until Chimpo decides to finish his SonMapEd guide.) Until then this topic will be locked.

Date: 2009-03-08 18:06:10
Double post:

I'm pleased to announce that I now know why the Raptor's Sprite is fucked up. Apparently the VRAM needs to be expanded using this:

writeVRAM v_sgfx_buffer,$2E0,vram_sonic

or this:
writeVRAM v_sgfx_buffer,$2E0,$F000

the only trouble is I don't know where this is supposed to go. Does anyone have the answer to that here?

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-03-08 20:06:43
Looks like an ASM command. Try reassembling the Sonic 1 source with that command in an appropriate place.

Date: 2009-03-08 20:14:43
I knew it was an ASM command I just need help locating where it goes within the source. I'm kinda new to ASM. I also wasn't being specific so its my fault. :)