Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Great ROM maker! - Page 1

Great ROM maker!

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2009-02-25 15:30:15
minimoose, killercow (not from gcl) and i have been trying to figure out how to make a video game rom, and failed. But now we found a program at yoyogames.com to make it a LOT easier. just click the 'make' tab and download! I promise that it will not give you a virus, but an annoying pop up that requests you buy the advanced version. any question can be answered on youtube.com (for anything else wikipedia)

Re: Great ROM maker!

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-02-25 17:14:42
Game Maker does not make ROM dumps, it makes Windows executables. Windows executable files do not require an emulator to run.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-02-25 17:27:47

minimoose, killercow (not from gcl) and i have been trying to figure out how to make a video game rom, and failed. But now we found a program at yoyogames.com to make it a LOT easier. just click the 'make' tab and download! I promise that it will not give you a virus, but an annoying pop up that requests you buy the advanced version. any question can be answered on youtube.com (for anything else wikipedia)

Wow, this is phail.  Like beyond phail, and epoch phail.  This is the [insidejoke]level of STEVEN.[/insidejoke]

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2009-02-25 21:16:43
you can save as rom and use visual player to run them Abawayax. But for main save yes it is Windows exectuble. I am trying the best i can to capatilize with my psp so please stop bitching about it. that is why minimoose left i bet, unfreindliness torwards the new.

Posted by: ultraVex
Date: 2009-03-03 20:55:03

stop bitching about it.

You realize you're talking to Abwayax (or anyone else), right?

unfreindliness torwards the new.

More like unfriendliness to those who don't know anything about the internet yet, but you know.

Back on topic.
I'm aware that Game Maker makes executables, and also special game files for the player, but these special files are not roms after all. Roms are images of archived or "dumped" games for use on game systems or emulators. These files are similar to roms due to the fact that they cannot be ran alone, yet they aren't for use in any kind of emulator.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-03-03 22:27:20
re: unfriendliness towards the new

If explaining something counts as unfriendliness, I guess teachers are unfriendly to their students all the time?

BTW I actually do try to make the forums newbie-friendly, which is why I try to be as neutral as possible in my posts. I avoid using terms like idiot, noob, or newfag in any post directed towards a new member. I actually give new users considerable leniency until about their first week of being here, by which time they are expected to be familiar with how we do things around here. However I was never one prone to mincing words, I like to be frank and direct in my messages. There was actually an incident where a new user was being insulted and I stepped in try to settle the dispute, but it turned out this new user had his mother flame one of the admins rather rudely. As staff, we have to work to maintain newcomers and make sure they grow into productive members. Posts like "shut up and observe us oldfags" don't do that (this isn't 4chan /b/, you're not supposed to lurk moar), but explanatory posts that tell new users what they did wrong and what they should be doing are not rudeness or unfriendliness, they are matter-of-fact statements. A statement like "Game Maker does not make emulator ROMs" isn't rude, it's informative. Rather direct, but informative. If you are the sort of person who thinks otherwise, perhaps this forum isn't for you (not trying to be threatening, just stating that this is how it is done here at GCLF).

As for Minimoose's problem, he was repeatedly warned for his uncivil and no one complained when he got banned. His ban's expired, by the way.

Oh, and if you don't think we don't do anything about flaming - Axaj was indeed warned for that post.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-03-04 16:45:21

BTW I actually do try to make the forums newbie-friendly, which is why I try to be as neutral as possible in my posts. I avoid using terms like idiot, noob, or newfag in any post directed towards a new member.

Yeah, that's Sonic-Cult s**t right there. I'm glad we don't don't have the same rules of the cult because that place is kinda…..bleah at times when it comes to stuff like that. Primarily hazing is an issue there. There are also some members here who really should be there because of how they treat newbies at times. I try not to be so mean to newbies unless of course they are spamming on purpose or just causing general trouble that is considered against the rules.

The one thing that kind of disturbs me is if Pachuka ever got on these Forums. That wouldn't go to well. Even though he said he wasn't going to act up anymore. (hmmm… maybe I should invite him… I'm joking of course.)