Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Hacking Roller coaster tycoon 3 - Page 1

Hacking Roller coaster tycoon 3

Posted by: Bluelatios
Date: 2009-05-11 18:27:31
Alright, recently I have been on a quest around the internet to find someone who can do this. In the game Roller coaster tycoon 3 for pc, there is an annoying limit to how high you can build landscapes and mountains. The mountains can be like, 500 feet tall but I want them to get much taller! So I am asking if anybody here who has he game and is pretty good at hacking, to find a way to break that limit by cheat codes, hex editing, or whatever. There is a cheat code for unlimited coaster building height so its not like the game's limits are at 500 feet or anything, just the landscaping tools. I would appreciate it very much, and I have been looking for quite a while now!

Re: Hacking Roller coaster tycoon 3

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-05-12 18:55:40
Hmm, I think it is hardcoded into the game, that limit :/

Re: Hacking Roller coaster tycoon 3

Posted by: Bluelatios
Date: 2009-05-12 20:36:07
Well, one one scenario with a huge mountain, the top is actually about 20 feet higher than you can make! I tried making it higher and it instantly dropped down to the normal maximum. So when, the programmers created the maps, they made an error. I think that perhaps the script for each map tells the game to not allow terrain raising too high. So I am looking at .dat file for the blank sandbox landscape and if the section of the file script that puts the restriction could be deleted or modified to allow it to go higher, then my problem would be solved. A hex editor could convert it to hex for modifying, but I do not understand hex language so that's a problem :/.