Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

I think I know.... - Page 1

I think I know....

Posted by: Arceus Trainer
Date: 2009-06-27 08:27:50
Yeah, I got it now! In the leftover space from pokemon gold and silver, (http://glitchcity.info/docs/emuunused Second picture from the top) I know why the lefover block of text is there.There was, at one point while game development, an even BIGGER block of text, containing the words, "CONTINUE NEW GAME OPTION" And then at the bottom, the phrase,"TIME NOT SET". Surrounding those words were random letters, programmed not to do a single thing. The words, However, would be programmed to do certain things. Here is the catch. They wanted the game's imaging to span the entire screen, so they had to put some extra text in there. Then, at some random time, they decide to cut the imaging's size. This was before they overlapped the text with the white screen and bordering and stuff. They didn't use the small block of text. They didn't cover it, thinking they didn't have to, Clueless that someone would soon discover it.

Plus, about the 4th picture from the top, I think nintendo is trying to say,"HI" to us. Hi Nintendo!

Re: I think I know....

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-06-27 08:48:46
Most of that data is meaningless. The ?HI? tiles are just part of the HP bar, with the P slightly cut off. The Game Boy window is larger than the Game Boy screen, which makes it frequently used for scrolling purposes. The only interesting thing on there is the ocean scene, honestly.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2009-06-27 08:49:07
The "HI" sprite is just part of the HP bar graphic.
EDIT: Goddamned hivemind.

Posted by: Arceus Trainer
Date: 2009-06-27 09:20:33
Sorry. I got bored.