Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

No-catch Old Man? - Page 1

No-catch Old Man?

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-09-16 20:30:03
What would happen if you forced the Old Man to not catch anything?

Re: No-catch Old Man?

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-09-16 22:06:26
Do you mean "not throw the Poké Ball" or "make it so that when he throws the ball it doesn't work"?

If the second, he probably acts as if he did catch it. The devs probably didn't foresee anyone messing with the code, so they wouldn't have written anything to handle the situation.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-09-16 23:16:18
If he doesn't catch anything, it says he ran out of safari balls and it acts as if he caught a Pokémon.

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-09-17 05:46:07
Okay, thanks. Just wondering.

I wish the Pokémon would attack though. That would be funny.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-09-18 15:43:00

don'tcha dare touch your Old Man!
Anyway, does the Safari Ball thing happen for both ways that Abwayax mentioned? If not, which one?

Date: 2009-09-18 19:07:21

Anyway, does the Safari Ball thing happen for both ways that Abwayax mentioned? If not, which one?
I don't think you can do the first.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2009-12-30 12:18:46

…a gameshark code to turn the first item into, say, a Potion ?

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-12-30 15:42:27

…a gameshark code to turn the first item into, say, a Potion ?

I suspect this isnt possible. I havent looked at the code for the Old Man, but I suspect it is hardcoding the effect and not saying use item x, where x is Poké Ball. This is how opponents use items like X Attack or Potionthe game directly changes stats without moving through an intermediate item layer.

Date: 2009-12-30 18:39:02
You could try to change what type of item is used when you use a safari ball.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-01-01 09:43:05

You could try to change what type of item is used when you use a safari ball.

If IIMarckus is correct I don't think that would make any difference. In an interface meant for normal battles it would certainly be possible otherwise you wouldn't be able to use multiple items with different effects.

However the old man is an entirely different battle mode (I think hex 03) as the old man is programmed to just 'throw the ball.' He can fail to catch a pokemon if he tries to say catch a trainer's pokemon or if the catch rate was changed to not be 100% and it would give the you are out of safari balls message.

If it is possible to make it so that the old man used a potion it would probably act like a pokeball perhaps even with the same animation. I remember forcing a professor oak battle with a Muk; and the Muk screamed Pika!

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2010-01-01 12:09:38
Similarly, when using Pokemon modifier codes in R/S/E, Wally will attempt to catch whatever Pokemon specified in the code. Even if he fails to catch it, he still ends up with a Ralts. I bet that even if you changed what item the Old Man had, he would still pretend that he caught a Pokemon.