Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Ho-oh in R/B/Y? - Page 1

Ho-oh in R/B/Y?

Posted by: xeno
Date: 2009-12-30 03:57:57
I know what the typical reaction to this is.
"Ho-oh was not invented/thought of in time/at all by Pokemon R/B/Y's creation"

I know that pretty much, but even so, I thought I'd post this pic, and ask for thoughts.

http://img109.imageshack.us/i/hoohinrbydonno.png/

Does anyone else think that looks like Ho-oh?
It doesn't look like a "hybrid" between an NPC and a Pokemon NPC character to me, it seems too fluid/uninterrupted for that…

I don't think its Moltres, it doesn't look like the sprite.

I found this by an old gameshark cheat code which allows capturing of opponents pokemon.
It also allows throwing pokeballs outside of battle, and using the "Red" item, which seems to show that the "Red" item may have been a "red pokeball"?
(Cherish ball?)(edit: sorry it made the potion noise…So I made a mistake…)

On a side note, it seems Charizard M's traditional stats are similar to "a" 's
(Stats like height, and weight.)

So, any thoughts on the Possible Ho-oh sprite?
My brother suggested a Psyduck, but I just can't see a Psyduck in that.

Re: Ho-oh in R/B/Y?

Posted by: Bassmasta
Date: 2009-12-30 04:21:40
The location looks like the Snorlax location west of Celadon, so if anything that would be my guess. But the sprite, I have no idea.

Date: 2009-12-30 05:03:58
West of Celadon is the location, and that is Techically a Snorlax.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that…:(

I threw a few masterballs and the sprite changed to that.

Either way, sorry for the false alarm if it is proven to just be me.

Posted by: Ashandmisty
Date: 2010-01-01 08:23:42
I've looked through the ROM and there's no sprite like that. You sure you aren't using a ROM hack?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-01-01 09:19:36
The bottom left part of the sprite (the somewhat spherical one) is somewhat isometric and seems to just be some sort of boulder. I don't know about the other parts of the sprite though especially  the two white shapes to the bottom white that could resemble ho-oh's beak. If you invert the colours though it starts to look more just like a lump of rocks the possible 'head-feather' might be part of the tree like the others

Date: 2010-01-01 14:29:20
I can record it if you want me to, I've never seen it before I found it via the method described
And I promise that as far as I know, I'm not using a hack of any kind.

I guess its possible its a conglomeration of tiles, but thats one heck of a coincidence…

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2010-01-01 15:19:09
Ho-Oh is a Generation 2 Pokemon it was never in R/G/B/Y. It's like the false screenshot I had in my Pokemon magazine about speaking to Bill 100 times to get Pikablu (aka Marill in R/B/Y). That looks nothing like a Ho-Oh. Ho-Oh's sprite s bigger than than, and that looks nothing more than a poorly edited Snorlax sprite. The screenshot looks like it was created by Paint, if you ask me. No offense of course, but Ho-Oh, is never in the R/G/B/Y.

Date: 2010-01-01 15:39:07
I guess its just me then…

But I promise, I did not edit the screenshot, I did not edit anything except for the code I mentioned.
That was the only form of editing it, if that even counts as editing it.

Thanks for the input.

I don't see how it looks like a poorly edited Snorlax sprite and I already acknowledged that Ho-oh was in G/S/C, and never in R/B/Y…

I'll be getting some footage since promised someone else I would.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2010-01-01 17:28:29
It looks nothing like a Ho-Oh, and to me it looks like a heavily deformed Snorlax.

Posted by: Bassmasta
Date: 2010-01-01 18:05:20

, and that looks nothing more than a poorly edited Snorlax sprite. The screenshot looks like it was created by Paint, if you ask me.
I was actually able to recreate that screenshot on my own and made a VBA movie for those who want it. The movie is for Pokémon Red, as noted in the title.

Date: 2010-01-01 18:19:55
I was going to post a link to the youtube video I made, I guess I was too late, oh well…
Here's the youtube link anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlRFjyIXF1s

It also has some Glitch(?) item use.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-01-02 05:50:59
Oh, that must be a code making the game think you are in a battle when you are actually outside one; as a result some of the sprites such as snorlaxs may be 'translated' into their in-battle equivalent; are you sure that is not part of an existing move's animation?

Date: 2010-01-03 17:18:29
I'm pretty sure its not a move or something, or a fraction of a move or something since its the same for others.

If it were a fraction of a move, or a move itself, then wouldn't it be the last one used by the player?
Similar to the last pokemon seen is the one that the player catches when throwing any pokeball out of battle, the first time, then its some ditto's for a while, not sure how long…

Posted by: MissingNO. #1 Master
Date: 2010-01-08 05:16:07
Doesn't look that much like Ho-oh, though it's not impossible for there to be a reference in the data, as it was the original appearance of Moltres.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2010-01-09 13:57:18

If it were a fraction of a move, or a move itself, then wouldn't it be the last one used by the player?

Similar to the last pokemon seen is the one that the player catches when throwing any pokeball out of battle, the first time, then its some ditto's for a while, not sure how long…

Tiles for all attacks are probably loaded to VRAM all at the same time, so the last attack is not necessarily it.