Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

A quick question concerning adding pokemon to a Fire Red ROM - Page 1

A quick question concerning adding pokemon to a Fire Red ROM

Posted by: Shuckology 213
Date: 2010-01-08 14:17:43
Okay, I'm making a pokemon hack over at another forum and my original intention was to include a large number of Sinnoh pokemon and fakemon. Sadly, as there are only 25 known hackable empty slots for pokemon, in order to do this I would have to delete existing pokemon. But then I read an article on Bulbapedia about a certain glitch pokemon and it said there were somewhere around 65,000 slots within the game. Is there any possible way to access these glitch pokemon slots and insert a new pokemon? If there is, I need to know.

Thanks in advance!~

Re: A quick question concerning adding pokemon to a Fire Red ROM

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2010-01-08 15:00:04

Okay, I'm making a pokemon hack over at another forum and my original intention was to include a large number of Sinnoh pokemon and fakemon. Sadly, as there are only 25 known hackable empty slots for pokemon, in order to do this I would have to delete existing pokemon. But then I read an article on Bulbapedia about a certain glitch pokemon and it said there were somewhere around 65,000 slots within the game. Is there any possible way to access these glitch pokemon slots and insert a new pokemon? If there is, I need to know.

Thanks in advance!~
Er… sorta. You see, if you did that, things in the game might change. You could make it crash when ever you enter a battle by changing one pokemon!

Date: 2010-01-08 15:20:37
Ohhh, so that's why no editors have taken advantage of it yet… Ah well, Thank you for telling me!~ ^o^

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2010-01-09 00:37:45

Ohhh, so that's why no editors have taken advantage of it yet… Ah well, Thank you for telling me!~ ^o^
Actually, there is one that is used when researching decmarks(the things that occupy most of those slots)

Date: 2010-01-09 03:01:06
I wonder if maybe editing certain ones would be harmless to the game's code? Like, maybe just a few of them… If we had a way of finding out it would benefit ametuer hackers such as myself greatly. ^_^

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2010-01-09 08:47:04

Actually, there is one that is used when researching decmarks(the things that occupy most of those slots)

This edits other parts of the game code, though.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2010-01-09 13:51:43
Sadly, as there are only 25 known hackable empty slots for pokemon, in order to do this I would have to delete existing pokemon. But then I read an article on Bulbapedia about a certain glitch pokemon and it said there were somewhere around 65,000 slots within the game.

The word slots is misleading. In the game is a list that defines the stats and characteristics of every speciesone entry for Bulbasaur, one for Ivysaur, for Venusaur, for Charmander, and so on. This list has 25 extra entries that are blank; each of these blank entries basically defines a Pokémon with no name, no sprite, and so on, but it can be edited to whatever name or sprite you want just like any actual Pokémon.

To get an entry from this list, the game uses a number. 1 gives the first entry (Bulbasaur), 2 gives the second (Ivysaur), and so on. The 25 empty entries can be selected with numbers as well. As such, 386 + 25 = 411 numbers will give a valid Pokémon. Anything higher than that will give garbage, a glitch, a Decamark or whatever you want to call it. The largest number the Game Boy can handle is 65535, so you can get almost as many invalid entries.

Can you add more entries to the list? Yes, but thats hard. Its easier to just replace existing entries in the list. The first ones to be replaced are the ones that are blank, obviously.