Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Observing ?????s and their behavior in Crystal - Page 1

Observing ?????s and their behavior in Crystal

Posted by: K0HIJIN
Date: 2010-02-22 13:26:08
[Edited]

Here are the videos  (if you haven't read the whole thread first, do it before you watch the videos)
Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ZvJc_E3fg - Is mostly about showing the main observations. It does show an instance of finding a Teru-Sama by catching a wild ?????
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BZbM2TC5Gs - shows the attack-learning glitch

After making a new file to demonstrate the conclusions i have posted, I have come across a new discovery! (it's shown in the video)

- No. 254 evolves at lvl 4, not lvl 6

Coming Soon:
-Move learning list

Here are some basic conclusions i have come up with regarding the behavior of ????? no 254 and its evolve form ????? no. 000 or 0… 

Experiment # 1 - Observations of a previously caught ????? no.254/no. 0

- caught at Lake Rage lvl 15

- After it got to lvl 6 it evolved and learned about 25 moves at once. Its hard for me to remember all of them, but here are some of them: fly, sandstorm(x2), aurora beam, gust, petal dance(x2) , safeguard(x3), whirlpool(x2), unknown moves(were just a bunch of symbols. when i replaced a move with one, it was immediately replaced with the next move in the queue), comet punch, and  extremespeed.

- Also, once it evolved, it had an indefinite amount of health and reset to lvl 1. Typically the health looked something like a symbol or sprite block followed by a 2-digit number. The bar itself would go off the screen and come around again. When the health seemed to reach 0, it would reset to some other number. When the ?????'s health was in the state, all healing items would have no effect. Healing it at a PC would make its health return to a normal state.

Experiment #2 - Training a lvl 2 no. 254 ????? caught on route 26-

- Their sprite takes the form of whatever sprite was in its place last (i.e. if the ????? is the first pokemon being fought in a trainer battle, the ????? will take the sprite of the trainer). If there was no sprite in that place previously (i.e. wild ?????s) it will take a randomly generated sprite (this is general ????? behavior) (already known)

-Its sprite in the pokemon window is a Lapras when it was no. 254 (also general ????? behavior)

- After it gained 40 exp, the ????? grew until lvl 6. after this it learned pin missile and evolved into ????? no. 0.

- Its sprite in the pokemon window then was an.. i don't know.. i guess an original "glitch sprite" (general behavior for no. 0 pokemon in crystal)

- After the evolution, it no longer leveled. If given a rarecandy it does level, but the level resets to 1 when it gains any xp from a battle

- When i had it fight a lvl 255 ????? and won, its xp bar was affected. when I tried to check the stats, the game froze. (previously, any xp amount had not affected the bar)

Experiment # 3
- Trying to recreate the instances in the first experiment discussed, I went to Lake Rage again and caught a lvl 16 and attempted to train it (it was holding Teru-Sama when caught)

-After fighting a ????? of the same level and gaining 400 xp in the process, it "grew" to level 6, learned comet punch, petal dance, return, gust, mimic, sandstorm, [block][japanese symbol][arrow pointing left][an o with the 2 dots above it]S[part of an xp bar (wtf??)]and so on…. it continues off the page, fly, whirlpool, flail, spite, morning sun, morning sun(it literally asked 2 times, not a typo!), horn drill, extremespeed, sandstorm, pain split, pain split(again..), horn drill, rain dance, whirlpool, drill peck, absorb, tackle, morning sun, tackle, pin missile, shadow ball, safeguard, safeguard, safeguard, [symbols and spaces with a poke  E  44. at the end], dragonbreath, aurora beam, double kick, and pin missile in that exact order. Then it evolved into a no. 0 while maintaining its lvl 6 status.

- After a fight with a level 16, it "grew" to level 1 with stats 8, 7 , 8 , 8, 7 and obtained a glitched amount of HP

Misc. Notes
-I really don't know what I did with the first one that gave it the hp glitch.
-With the HP glitch, the only way it can die is by one-hit KO moves.
-When i caught the lvl 2 no. 254, it was holding a Teru-Sama.
-Everstones do work on no. 254 's
-If Rarecandies are used on a ????? they will work for a short time. If you use them enough they will learn certain moves at specific levels

The main thing that I want to find out is why the no. 254th pokemon learns 20 moves after a battle where it gains around 400 while only learning one move when gaining 40 exp or 6000 exp.

Also If anyone is curious, I have provided a link to all the stuff I have done so far and the cheats I had activated during the period of observation

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3411110/K0HIJIN-CheatListAndGame.zip
(load the save state)

Re: Observing ?????s and their behavior in Crystal

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-02-22 13:55:55
I do not know if most this has already done or if it should be in this section (since i did this with gameshark installed in the vba, i thought it should go here).

This is the perfect section, don't you worry about that except if you want to add information to the site we have a wiki and it is located here http://www.glitchcity.info/wiki/ but not about ????? yet; unless you make a general page about all ????? glitches, which can link to all the relevent GlitchDex articles at GlitchDex/GSC:254 and so on but Adrian Malacoda the site owner, is the one who is editting the GlitchDex articles, perhaps if you can research all the moves ????? (254) learns or preferably other varients and contact him he may add them on later  :).

Concerning ????? we already acknowledge about how all variations of ????? copy the sprite of the last Pokémon (or sometimes a trainer and a block based on the original item or map interace), however as far as I know we haven't noted any type of ????? holding a Teru-sama when caught yet so thank you for informing us about that.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-02-22 14:10:18
Nice research you got there. You can put it in a "Notes" section in the GlitchDex articles corresponding with those Pokémon. Whether they're ready to be edited or not you can ask Adrian, but sometime I'll test these, or, better yet, you could post a video demonstrating what you've said here.

Date: 2010-02-22 14:54:22
Thanks for telling me and replying so fast! Yeah, I think I'm going to start working on a video that shows all this. I'm really new to this glitch stuff; I just learned about all these glitches and things 2 days ago, so there's a lot of basic stuff that I don't know. I posted a video prior to most of these observations yesterday that shows the ????? pokemon in battle (though it wasn't the focus of the video) and a few other things in crystal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73O6UG3-dxk

Date: 2010-02-22 18:47:52
The videos are up, as well as some new info. [look at the main post]

Date: 2010-02-23 19:45:41
Added a learned-move list on the wiki page and it awaits a review. After it is accepted, I will post my notes on the "Misc Notes" Section, as you guys suggested.

Date: 2010-02-23 21:08:57

Added a learned-move list on the wiki page and it awaits a review. After it is accepted, I will post my notes on the "Misc Notes" Section, as you guys suggested.
Is there any way to know the HEX of the "Glitched Move," by any chance?

Date: 2010-02-23 21:37:06

I personally don't have too much experience with using the memory viewer, but I think can try this. Suppose that I taught the ????? pokemon the Glitched move in the first-move slot and the pokemon was first in my party. I have the gameshark code for changing the first move of the first pokemon in the party. If I search the hex code in the memory viewer, I think I'll get the point of data where the glitch move is stored.
But really, I've never tried finding certain points of data using the memory viewer before… sorry, I just don't know how

If you could teach me how to use the memory viewer, that would be awesome  :D

Based on observation, I'm guessing that the "glitched move" that it learns at lvl 62 may be the 00 move. I say this because as soon as it replaces a move, another valid move takes its place.

The other glitch move (that is not on the wiki because it is not found trough standard 1-100 leveling) that was in one of the earlier videos is a certain glitched move. It was Electric-type and it always had 23/44 PP, though it never did anything when you used it.

Date: 2010-02-25 19:31:20
To be honest, I myself do not know how to use the memory viewer. Just take notes on each though, and when a GSC AttackDex is done we can add them up with those.

Date: 2010-02-27 17:57:36

I personally don't have too much experience with using the memory viewer, but I think can try this. Suppose that I taught the ????? pokemon the Glitched move in the first-move slot and the pokemon was first in my party. I have the gameshark code for changing the first move of the first pokemon in the party. If I search the hex code in the memory viewer, I think I'll get the point of data where the glitch move is stored.
But really, I've never tried finding certain points of data using the memory viewer before… sorry, I just don't know how

If you could teach me how to use the memory viewer, that would be awesome  :D

Based on observation, I'm guessing that the "glitched move" that it learns at lvl 62 may be the 00 move. I say this because as soon as it replaces a move, another valid move takes its place.

The other glitch move (that is not on the wiki because it is not found trough standard 1-100 leveling) that was in one of the earlier videos is a certain glitched move. It was Electric-type and it always had 23/44 PP, though it never did anything when you used it.

I have a trainer built into my gameshark to find codes; so that if you already know a value you can search for it and then search for values which have changed.

I haven't used emulators much but you can find a list of values on our big list, if it lets you  as soon as you use tackle for example, you can search for 33 (21 in hexadecimal) and then search for different values, you might get a few codes but one of them should be the attack modifier in a format like 01XXYYZZ XX will be the hex value.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2010-02-28 08:41:54
I am pretty sure that any GSC glitch move just freezes, or resets into glitch dimension, or resets normally. I don't know though..

Date: 2010-02-28 09:18:42

I am pretty sure that any GSC glitch move just freezes, or resets into glitch dimension, or resets normally. I don't know though..

Yes, I tested the GS glitch moves with hexadecimal identifiers of FC-FF a few months ago but all of those simply just crashed the game and one put the game into a glitch dimension. I haven't been able to try 00 though because the game simply takes that as no move; there may be a way to make the game 'use nothing' somehow though, just how Charizard 'M/Q seems to count as 'Cancel' in the party.

However since KOHIJIN was using Pokémon Crystal I wouldn't be surprised if the effects of those glitch moves were different than the effects on Pokémon Gold/Silver.