Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Unused dialogue in Pokémon Heartgold and Soulsilver. - Page 1

Unused dialogue in Pokémon Heartgold and Soulsilver.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-04-16 16:13:54
I was searching for a Pokémon Emerald text dump, however I found a Pokémon Heartgold one which is arguably more interesting, typically because it holds a lot more data. Buried within the text dump is number of strings of dialogue which remain unused.

The interesting thing is that some of these refer to possible features from (a possible) alpha version which were removed from the game and even an apparant debug mode which may still exist within the game coding!

The text dump is hosted here: http://stuff.veekun.com/pokemon-heartgold-text-dump

The list below is far from complete, but nevertheless this information is extremely interesting.

List of DS controls:

Note that these may have been used in the possible debug menu (see below) to give functions to the button inputs in-game.

1)ON
2)OFF
3)Y
4)X
5)Z
6)A
7)B
8)Y up down
9)X up down
10)A up down
11)B up down
12)Y left
13)X up
14)A right
15)B down

Untranslated text:

1)
2) PHCつ
3)

Strings from a possible debug mode:

Underground - Sidenote that Pokémon Heartgold and Soulsilver appear to have been developed directly from Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (as a template), as a result references to the underground still exist.

1)Underground debug
2)communication traffic
3)bytes are being sent every time.
4)Delivery debug
5)Add Items to PC
6)Nullify goods penalty

Main map interface/battle:

1)Pokémon graphics
2)Start debug
3)Hall of Fame demo
4)Select Name
5)Debug Fight

Management of media:

1)Opening
2)Sound test
3)Destroy the outside saved file
4)Font Viewer
5)Modify RTC (I presume that this stands for Real-time clock)
6)Light ON/OFF
7)Light Color 1
8)Light Color 2
9)Light Color 3
10)Light Color 4
11)Light Vector 1
12)Light Vector 2
13)Light Vector 3
14)Light Vector 4
15)Polygon Color: diffused
16)Environment Lighting: ambient
17)Specular Reflexion: specular
18)Radiant Light: emitted
19)Select debug windows
20)Light: End Frames
21)Red
22)Green
23)Blue
24)Alpha
25)Light 1
26)Light 2
27)Light 3
28)Light 4

Miscellany:

1)Back

Re: Unused dialogue in Pokémon Heartgold and Soulsilver.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2010-04-19 16:09:53
Lazy translation with Google translator, but here's a rough idea of what the Japanese text turned out to be.

Note: It's not perfect due to how it was translated.

1) Danjonkattoin
2) PHC One
3) I test

Posted by: Missingnoguy55
Date: 2010-04-25 18:14:07

Lazy translation with Google translator, but here's a rough idea of what the Japanese text turned out to be.

1) Danjonkattoin
2) PHC One
3) I test

I translated Danjonkattoin in a certain way (it's a jumbled word that can be translated by putting spaces in between the Japanese characters at the right point to translate the word correctly), and it says "Cut in dungeon." Any other spaces in between the others just created something that didn't make sense.

Date: 2010-04-27 02:38:12

1) Danjonkattoin
2) PHC One
3) I test

I translated Danjonkattoin in a certain way (it's a jumbled word that can be translated by putting spaces in between the Japanese characters at the right point to translate the word correctly), and it says "Cut in dungeon." Any other spaces in between the others just created something that didn't make sense.

That's quite interesting, if I was to take a guess perhaps that function is used for cutting trees in Ilex Forest because it is not a 'normal location' in the sense that you cannot fly from there.

Here's a few more debug options note there's still many options from Platinum:

1)Lakes
2)Wave pattern test
3)Set scenario flags
4)Set all Badges
5)Hidden items
6)Check captures
7)
8)Poketch wave pattens
9)Battery Max
10)Battery Clear
11Clear Max
12)Clear CLR
13)Script ON
14)Set Lv.1
15)Set Lv.2
16)Set Lv.3
17)Set Lv.4
18)Set Lv.5
19)Switch villa event
20)Check the Hall bonus
21)Phone call interval
22)でびだ
23)Frequency of phone call
24)Fix phone call odds
25)Fix phone group
26)Immediate incoming call

If these interfaces are still embedded within in the game this is the most complex debug menu I've ever seen.

Date: 2010-04-27 18:27:30

1) Danjonkattoin
2) PHC One
3) I test

That's quite interesting, if I was to take a guess perhaps that function is used for cutting trees in Ilex Forest because it is not a 'normal location' in the sense that you cannot fly from there.

1)Lakes
2)Wave pattern test
3)Set scenario flags
4)Set all Badges
5)Hidden items
6)Check captures
7)
8)Poketch wave pattens
9)Battery Max
10)Battery Clear
11Clear Max
12)Clear CLR
13)Script ON
14)Set Lv.1
15)Set Lv.2
16)Set Lv.3
17)Set Lv.4
18)Set Lv.5
19)Switch villa event
20)Check the Hall bonus
21)Phone call interval
22)でびだ
24)Fix phone call odds
25)Fix phone group

If these interfaces are still embedded within in the game this is the most complex debug menu I've ever seen.

That's the same idea I was getting, too.

= Guinness
でびだ = Call Yobida (phone in the beta version?)

When developers create a game they know can be altered with a cheating device, they most likely remove the debug mode to prevent heavy altering to the game. However, for example, with every Sonic Genesis game (1, 2, 3, SK, S3K), the debug mode still exists. A debug mode may exist in Generation IV, but it's unlikely.

Since HG/SS has a lot of elements from Platinum, I think HG/SS was built off of that rather than D/P.

Date: 2010-04-29 16:11:32

Since HG/SS has a lot of elements from Platinum, I think HG/SS was built off of that rather than D/P.

Yes, I agree too. It is popular belief (at least in the Pokémon community) that Nintendo tend to develop the newer games by using the older set of Pokémon games (or single Pokémon game) as a template. It can be backed up by several factors. For example, Pokémon Firered and Leafgreen uses a very similar map engine to Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire - the last games that Nintendo made before them. You could also take the existance of items such as the Scanner in Firered and Leafgreen's coding as evidence, along with other factors such as the existance of revamped sprites.

In Heartgold/Soulsilver's case, it does use a map engine which seems to be a slightly editted  version of Platinum's map engine (to add partner Pokémon and certain special effects such as the wind effects in New Bark Town), rather than the one in Diamond/Pearl. Nintendo optimised the Platinum map engine to a good extent, so less memory is used and players aren't deterred by the sake of the game's processing speed itself (probably will not happen a lot unless players take advantage of tweaking for example, which is much harder in Platinum). Some things that are probably more noticeable are the faster surfing speeds in Platinum and the game's capability to add enhanced shadow effects.

When developers create a game they know can be altered with a cheating device, they most likely remove the debug mode to prevent heavy altering to the game. However, for example, with every Sonic Genesis game (1, 2, 3, SK, S3K), the debug mode still exists. A debug mode may exist in Generation IV, but it's unlikely.

Are you referring to a possible debug menu in Generation IV accessible via button combinations or something else? I agree that its unlikely, but that is debatable, in one way I think about the incidence when the Game Genie was taken into court for apparantly altering the game but in actual fact the device could never alter the game ROM but rather, the variables within the ROM image. In that sense, before Sega's acknowledgement of the Game Genie, maybe they would want players to be a little 'creative' with the debug mode, but perhaps that whole incidence has put them off of doing the same thing again?

Yet with Nintendo, they wouldn't even do such a thing with the original Mario Bros. (unless I'm mistaken), so I don't think the reason is solely related to the existance of cheating devices, it would probably go into 'quality assurance' related factors. Nintendo seem to want to express themselves as being more formal in that sense.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2010-05-04 04:55:57
1) - Dungeon katto in/kattoin
If anyone knew what PHC stood for?
3) - "n" test

If you need me to translate Japanese, ask cause I might be able to and better than google (which sucks poop for Japanese translation).

Date: 2010-05-06 12:01:15

1) - Dungeon katto in/kattoin
If anyone knew what PHC stood for?
3) - "n" test

If you need me to translate Japanese, ask cause I might be able to and better than google (which sucks poop for Japanese translation).
Glisp and me already translated those, just so you know.

Although I forgot that was "n" in Hiragana, so maybe that was some cut-off text that was never used?

PHC is a mystery to me. It could've been removed from the beta version and they never told anyone.

Date: 2010-05-06 23:24:16
Google translator gets ~50% wrong in general.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2010-05-10 14:26:35

1) Danjonkattoin
2) PHC One
3) I test

1)Lakes
2)Wave pattern test
3)Set scenario flags
4)Set all Badges
5)Hidden items
6)Check captures
7)
8)Poketch wave pattens
9)Battery Max
10)Battery Clear
11Clear Max
12)Clear CLR
13)Script ON
14)Set Lv.1
15)Set Lv.2
16)Set Lv.3
17)Set Lv.4
18)Set Lv.5
19)Switch villa event
20)Check the Hall bonus
21)Phone call interval
22)でびだ
24)Fix phone call odds
25)Fix phone group

That's the same idea I was getting, too.

= Guinness
でびだ = Call Yobida (phone in the beta version?)

Apparently adding a space between the first and second letter of Number 7 gave me this:

Fitness Guy

Edit: Also @ownage much, we know. We are just giving rough translations of what they might say. It's not the best but it sort of works. Until we get a Japanophile on the boards that can actually read Japanese its all we can do for the time being.

Date: 2010-05-21 08:47:40
Apparently adding a space between the first and second letter of Number 7 gave me this:

Fitness Guy

That is interesting especially if its true, I have no idea about the structure of Japanese words but translating it as it is in Google Translator without a space gives the word "Guinness" which is strange. Of course, I have no idea how accurate that translation was, I'll try and get someone to properly translate these words.

Edit: Just a few months ago or so people uncovered further information about the Lock Capsule (if people don't know it is a currently unobtainable key item hidden within Pokémon Heartgold and Soulsilver previously known as "Rock Capsule" before the games were officially translated) through a text dump of the game, there has already been speculation that it is going to be obtainable by sending it from a Fifth Generation game as suggested through the text "The Lock Capsule was delivered safely!" although there is no solid evidence on the subject.

Here is all the dialogue that refers (the sixth quote not directly) to the Lock Capsule.

VIEW LOCK CAPSULE CARD
The Lock Capsule is held in the strictest safekeeping.
The Lock Capsule was delivered safely!
Lock Capsules
Lock Capsule
A sturdy Capsule that can only be opened with a special key.

Date: 2010-05-31 01:32:39
Edit: Also @ownage much, we know. We are just giving rough translations of what they might say. It's not the best but it sort of works. Until we get a Japanophile on the boards that can actually read Japanese its all we can do for the time being.

I may be able to translate some of it.

I have no idea about the structure of Japanese words but translating it as it is in Google Translator without a space gives the word "Guinness" which is strange. Of course, I have no idea how accurate that translation was, I'll try and get someone to properly translate these words.

It was 100% accurate. Japanese words are formed in syllables, hiragana/kanji characters for asian words, and katakana for foreign words. is katakana, said "gines" (ginesu), and google would translate that as guinness. However, they don't use spaces in Japanese, therefore it could be "gine su or gi nesu or even gi ne su".

Does that help?