Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Pokémon Postbellum Version (A Red/Blue hack) - Page 1

Pokémon Postbellum Version (A Red/Blue hack)

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-04-20 20:51:55
I've recently begun a project: to create a hack of the original Pokémon games and raise the difficulty bar to the max. Minor edits include the removal of all-caps words (other than "POKéMON"), buyability of limited-supply items (late in the game), as well as the title screen. If I can find the right tools, I may change even more, but for now, that is the plan. Here is a list of what I plan to do so far for dificulty:

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It's actually the main reason I posted this, because the project is in a very early phase. What I don't have the tools for:
- map/wild Pokémon editing
- trainer team editing (including Gym Leaders and Elite Four)
- an item price editor
What I'd like to be able to do, but is not necessary:
- change trainer/Pokémon sprites
- make Prof. Oak and Chief be opponents
That's all for now.

Re: Pokémon Eccentric Version (A Red/Blue hack)

Posted by: atoms2ashes
Date: 2010-04-20 21:22:05
So it's like Touhou's Lunatic mode, minus the lolicon?

Sweet!

Re: Pokémon Postbellum Version (A Red/Blue hack)

Date: 2010-04-21 15:50:57
After some consideration of the reason for the high-leveled stuff, changed the name. The idea is, there was a war, during which trainers trained excessively for protection and the wild Pokémon adapted to the tough environment. During this time, your rival and you lost everything you had. So, you go to Prof. Oak again to recieve starter Pokémon, one of three new ones that he was able to capture…
This will be said in the introductory dialogue.

Posted by: atoms2ashes
Date: 2010-04-27 07:53:07
So these Pokemon would be at level 5?

Or would Professor Oak train them up to adapt to the war environment?

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2010-04-28 12:44:33
they'd probably be level 3.

Date: 2010-04-28 14:18:53

they'd probably be level 3.
Dunno how to change starter levels. I'm mainly just changing wild Pokémon and trainers (wild Pokémon start out at Lvs.6-10.)

Posted by: Missingnoguy55
Date: 2010-05-30 15:35:17
Trainers that aren't Gym Leaders are not in the ROM code, because I found Brock's Pokémon but not any random Trainer's Pokémon, so this could mean that the Trainer's Pokémon are loaded into the RAM by the script.

But there isn't a script editor for R/B/Y, so I'm not sure what to do.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-05-31 17:16:55

Trainers that aren't Gym Leaders are not in the ROM code, because I found Brock's Pokémon but not any random Trainer's Pokémon, so this could mean that the Trainer's Pokémon are loaded into the RAM by the script.

But there isn't a script editor for R/B/Y, so I'm not sure what to do.

Unless I'm mistaken I thought that the roster of the trainer's Pokémon depended on another value, which is set after the player speaks with the trainer, this is the same value managing what the level of the enemy Pokémon will be. For example, a value of 01 for a Youngster would probably give the first Youngster roster defined. This is why when performing the Old Man Trick glitch trainers can appear because the game will set this value to anything between B9 (185) and F5 (245) depending on the player's name. Such large values will try to bring up roster data which is undefined, so the game will bring up the data from elsewhere.

Posted by: Destinatus
Date: 2010-06-04 09:57:17
This was a random thought…

So saying, pokemon in the Unknown Dungeon will be levels 70-90? Or something like that?

And Mewtwo could be Level 100 :P

Date: 2010-06-04 14:05:15
I'm thinking of probably changing generations for this, if trainers' Pokémon will not be able to be edited. Perhaps Gen IV, as its the most advanced one (I was originally doing RB just because I like RB. My next favorite generation is IV.)

Date: 2010-06-04 14:09:17
I know. Gen IV has HG/SS in it anyway, so you can still mess around with Kanto ;)

Date: 2010-06-04 18:39:28

I know. Gen IV has HG/SS in it anyway, so you can still mess around with Kanto ;)
To be honest, I don't want to be too bothered with map editing. HG/SS would be nice though for the large level range, allowing it to potentially reach 100.

Date: 2010-06-05 10:44:53
That's what I was thinking.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2010-06-05 17:44:49

I have no idea what youre saying here. Trainers can be edited easily.

39D3B is a list of pointers to the first trainer of every type. First two bytes point to Youngster #1, second two bytes point to Bug Catcher #1, and so on. Following the pointer, youll get data like this:
<level><species><species><species><00> Youngster #1
<level><species><species><species><00> Youngster #2
and so on. Note that in general, all Pokémon are the same level (leaders, E4, and champion being the only exceptions).

Example: Youngster #1 has a level 11 Rattata and Ekans. Do you see why?