Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Pokemon Red/Green/Blue combined, in color! - Page 1

Pokemon Red/Green/Blue combined, in color!

Posted by: Chaos Rush
Date: 2010-05-30 14:47:25
Er… recently I got into GBC rom hacking. Over at PC, I'm working on a GBA rom hack, but since everyone over there is obsessed with hacking only FireRed, I decided I should post this hack here. This is a side project I'm working on

This is a hack of Pokemon Gold. Basically, it's the 1st Gen games in color, plus all the extra goody-ness that Gold/Silver had, such as better sprites, better movesets, day/night, etc.

Screenshots:
[img]http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/6712/kantoincolor.png[/img]

[IMG]http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/6712/kantoincolor.png[/img]

Unfortunately I'm currently stuck with scripting. The FireRed-lovers over at Pokecommunity don't know a thing about GBC hacking, so I have no idea how to add level scripts. I can script just fine, but I don't know how to activate level scripts, and my best hope so far is to change random bytes with a hex editor…

I can make Oak stop the player, but when he takes the player into the lab, nothing happens, because I need to put a level script there, which apparently, no one knows how to do on 2nd Gen games. If there's no way, I'm probably just going to edit Elm's lab into Oak's lab.

EDIT: Basically, in simple words, this is a port/remake of Pokemon Red/Green/Blue to GBC.

Re: Pokemon Red/Green/Blue combined, in color!

Posted by: Missingnoguy55
Date: 2010-05-30 15:31:46
This is really interesting, and I really wish there was more knowledge about GB and GBC ROM hacking, and more tools to actually do something to the games.

Also, hacking these games are really hard from what I hear. The best way to actually hack it code-wise is to find a disassembler. There is one people use to make Sonic 1 and 2 dumps that has support for the Z80 processor (which the GB and maybe the GBC uses.) I remember you have to buy it, but I'm not sure what to do since I've never really hacked the GB or GBC games.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2010-05-30 19:43:51
There is no disassembly of Red/Blue but IIMarckus is working on one.  Also, R/B/G are already in color, just use SGB mode in any emulator or on real hardware, get an SNES with Super Game Boy attachment and then put in G/R/B and turn it on.

Posted by: Chaos Rush
Date: 2010-05-30 19:56:08

There is no disassembly of Red/Blue but IIMarckus is working on one.  Also, R/B/G are already in color, just use SGB mode in any emulator or on real hardware, get an SNES with Super Game Boy attachment and then put in G/R/B and turn it on.

That's a "different kind" of color. SGB only displays 4 colors at once (except during battles), and obviously what I meant by "color" meaning the one used in G/S/C. Trees should always be green, grass should always be green, water should always be blue, etc., instead of having them change into random colors when you enter a new area. When you use SGB, some palettes make the tiles look ugly as hell.

EDIT: I think I FINALLY figured out how to add level scripts. But my rom somehow enlarged to 128mb, and I have no idea how, so I'm restarting.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2010-06-05 17:35:58

Also, hacking these games are really hard from what I hear. The best way to actually hack it code-wise is to find a disassembler.

Disassembly would be way overkill. GSC has a very nice scripting engine and reasonable data structures, so it can be edited easily without resorting to Z80 code.

Also, the Z80 in the GBC is different enough from the Z80 in a Sega that you cant really use the same tools.

That's a "different kind" of color. SGB only displays 4 colors at once (except during battles), and obviously what I meant by "color" meaning the one used in G/S/C. Trees should always be green, grass should always be green, water should always be blue, etc., instead of having them change into random colors when you enter a new area. When you use SGB, some palettes make the tiles look ugly as hell.

This is only because of the implementationnotice the same effect in the GBC game Pokémon Yellow. The SGB is definitely capable of GSC-quality color (it can even make games SNES-quality, no foolin).

Anyway, your actual question can be answered by reading Tauwassers scripting document. Go look for it, its really useful.