Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Ruby/Sapphire 2 Players in Hoenn - Page 1

Ruby/Sapphire 2 Players in Hoenn

Posted by: MasterGamePro
Date: 2010-06-04 18:09:45
I found this cool trick about a year ago, that allows 2 people to explore Hoenn. It isn't perfect, of course, an example being that you can't enter doors or use HMs. From what I can tell, I'm the first to discover it. The instructions for how to perform it are in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFRiyHVvz4g
This will only work with Ruby and Sapphire, not Emerald.
To do this trick in Emerald, you just have to use warp codes.

Re: Ruby/Sapphire 2 Players in Hoenn

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-06-04 18:36:02
This is a breakthrough in glitchology of these two games. This could be taken a lot further in testing out battles and dialogue, as well as usage of teleporting moves, but the discovery of this trick will be the sole reason for that. This is a great discovery, surely deserving of recognition if you stay here, and with your long work (I presume) finding this glitch, I think this is the best place to show it.
Oh, and welcome, by the way ;). Enjoy your stay. And feel free to post all your details of this glitch onto our wiki.

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2010-06-04 19:45:01
This is quite amazing. Can you do more experimentation with it, like battles? I would myself, but I can't find a walk through walls code for Gameshark Advance SP.

Date: 2010-06-05 12:45:42
Hello! I was trying to find the best way to spread the word of this co-op trick, and I hadn't realized trsrockin was dead, so I kept sending it to her… then I discovered this site, and it seemed like the perfect place. Anyway, this actually is possible with Pokemon Emerald. You simply have to use a different method-a warp code. This code allows you to travel to Petalburg City while holding R, and walking through a doorway: 9D888122 8CFB57D8 734D21AC ABA1D48F. Unfortunately, you appear a little more north than in Ruby/Sapphire, so you will have to work a little to sync them up, but the rest is basically the same. No hm's, no entering doors, and you can walk on water. The backgrounds still get messed up as well. There is one very important thing I found, though: using the Pokenav fixes the glitched backgrounds almost completely. After I used the Pokenav, it was only one tile off, rather than being completely wrong.

One more thing; I don't have a gameshark, so I can't try this, but this is supposedly the walk through walls code for Ruby.
CE2CCCB25D8D815D

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2010-06-05 13:51:59
Neat discovery.  I tried something similar to this a while back, through a ROM hack.  I tried connecting the top of the record-sharing room to the bottom of Littleroot, but it simply crashed upon loading.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2010-06-05 14:15:32

no hms, and you can walk on water.

Sounds like this can be fixed with a gameshark code that forces another map's collision set to be loaded.

Date: 2010-06-07 01:10:41
Well, I've added it to the wiki. GARY 'M 9, do you know the code to load the collision set for Petalburg City? I'd like to see how fly would work… I'm guessing the guy would stay still on the other screen, but what would happen to the guy who's flying? Would the player still be in Petalburg City if he returned?

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2010-06-08 17:37:43
This could possibly blow the two games wide open. What about special events? When an event happens in one game, what happens in the other?

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-06-08 19:25:11
Those who further research this can add details to the wiki. Personally, I don't have two GBA Pokémon games I'd try this on, but research will be valued. One good thing to look into that I haven't mentioned would be testing it on FireRed and LeafGreen.

Date: 2010-06-17 22:23:15
I've got Firered, but I can't seem to find a walk through walls code for it. Also, there's two versions of those games, so both should be tested. I've got the later version.

Posted by: Ashandmisty
Date: 2010-07-13 07:54:32
We could potentially create a ROM hack of ruby to make it a co-op game instead of a single player game.

Posted by: Dragonmaster91
Date: 2010-07-13 08:26:17

I've got Firered, but I can't seem to find a walk through walls code for it. Also, there's two versions of those games, so both should be tested. I've got the later version.
It won't work in Firered and Leafgreen because  (0.0) is some sort of pokemon connection thing or something. In Ruby and Sapphire, it is Petalburg, it just used warp 0 which is on that house. For those of you who need help, that was figured out with Advanced Map…

@above
It won't work

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-07-13 08:56:12

It won't work in Firered and Leafgreen because  (0.0) is some sort of pokemon connection thing or something. In Ruby and Sapphire, it is Petalburg, it just used warp 0 which is on that house. For those of you who need help, that was figured out with Advanced Map…

@above
It won't work

An additional warp code could probably be used, like the one used for Pokémon Emerald to modify the value for the location that the player is taken to overcome that problem.

Regarding Ruby and Sapphire; being warped to Petalburg City for an undefined warp location is quite interesting; that could suggest itself as perhaps an error handler implemented by the game developers if such a problem was going to happen or the first location programmed into the game in Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire.

Date: 2010-07-13 13:46:43
I remember reading about a glitch in the Sky Tower, about using a walk through wall code to fall though a hole and "go to the town where your father's the gym leader", of course referring to Petalburg City. I never got it to work, but I'm sure it was due to the same thing: not having a warp location, and instead using the default, warp 0.

Posted by: Dragonmaster91
Date: 2010-07-13 16:18:39
Yes, you would indeed be right mastergamepro. Unfortunately, glitches like this don't work in D/P/P/HG/SS as far as I know. Matter of fact, in the HG/SS void, I have been sent to an MZ in the void just randomly walking around, but it never happened again… Of course, the only way to get into the HG/SS void is with WTW's…