Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

[NL] - Page 1

[NL]

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2012-12-16 14:25:28
I was looking through some unused text strings in Pokemon Yellow, and found this.

0x1903A4: There is no EGG.[NL][END]

Why would one put a new line command there, instead of an end command?

Also, this appears at 0x124558: "Oh, no. Oh, no My daughter is missing. No She couldnt have gone to the Burned Tower. I told her not to go near it People seem to disappear there Oh, what should I do?"

Does anyone know what the new line/end orientation of that would be? Looks like whoever took note of it didn't take that into account.

Re: [NL]

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2012-12-16 14:59:58
"Some ingame text implies that a sidequest involving the Burned Tower was scrapped at some point in development.

Oh, no. Oh, no My daughter is missing. No She couldnt have gone to the Burned Tower. I told her not to go near it People seem to disappear there Oh, what should I do?

Although it has no event data associated with it, this block of text is found near the dialogue encountered in Ecruteak City, outside of buildings. The idea of a possible sidequest involving a lost daughter is intriguing to think about. It might even have morphed into the lost granddaughter sidequest on the S.S. Aqua. "

http://iimarck.us/i/ecruteak-daughter/

Not sure about the EGG one, though.

Date: 2012-12-16 17:28:19
I know what the quest is about, I was wondering what the spacing orientation would look like.

Since text boxes have a character limit of 18 characters on the first line and 16 on the second, I think it'd look like this…

Oh, no. Oh, no[NL]My daughter is [NL]missing. No [NL]She couldnt have [NL]gone to the Burned[NL]Tower. I told her not[NL]to go near it[NL]People seem to [NL]disappear there[NL]Oh, what should I[NL]do?

I just noticed… "missing. No…"  O_o

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2012-12-16 18:34:03

I know what the quest is about, I was wondering what the spacing orientation would look like.

Since text boxes have a character limit of 18 characters on the first line and 16 on the second, I think it'd look like this…

Oh, no. Oh, no[NL]My daughter is [NL]missing. No [NL]She couldnt have [NL]gone to the Burned[NL]Tower. I told her not[NL]to go near it[NL]People seem to [NL]disappear there[NL]Oh, what should I[NL]do?

can this turn into a creepypasta plz
so basically her daughter turned into missingo. that blows.

Date: 2012-12-16 20:01:33

What's a Missingo?

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2012-12-16 21:15:17
Holy shit my reading comprehension sucks today.

It'd probably look like that, but the spacing is so bizarre that it might appear totally different. There's times where small words like "the" have lots of room to appear, but go to a new line anyway.

We have enough terrible PokéPasta already. We don't need more.

Posted by: 46664
Date: 2012-12-17 10:18:20
Pokemon Yellow?  I guess you meant to say one of the 2 Gen games XP.

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2012-12-17 13:04:16

What's a Missingo?

Spelling ftw.

We have enough terrible PokéPasta already. We don't need more.

Yeah but this could actually be decent though. Maybe I'll spend my day/night writing a creepypasta idk.