Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Sonic Adventure Autodemo - Page 1

Sonic Adventure Autodemo

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2013-06-14 19:21:11
So a guy named Orengefox on Sonic Retro managed to obtain a Sonic Adventure prototype of sorts. It's an autodemo. As the name suggests it runs demos and normally, that's all it can do. However, now it's possible to use cheat engine codes to gain control and access the other levels.

Many of the levels don't work due to missing textures or other things. One of the levels that's contained on the disc is surprisingly an untextured version of prototype windy valley. For those of you who don't know, Windy Valley was changed into its current iteration sometime in development. Originally, it looked much different. There was also a Chao Garden that used similar textures and things. It's on this disc too untextured. It was also discovered that this Chao garden is nothing more than a section of prototype windy valley that was copy pasted into its own level file.  The disc also contains 3 test levels. There's many other treats as well. You can read more about it on the forums in the General sonic discussion section. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to the topic or not due to the ROM image/ISO being in the topic. if I am, I'll post it

One of the more hilarious other aspects of the game is the "Chao Shredder" It's the Dreamcast Chao Transporter but it doesn't have transporting features implemented. The Station Square Chao Garden is fully playable and Chao behavior is kinda different.

You can see that stuff here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCH4NMo0pPg
As for me, I'm currently in the process of porting over the prototype version of Icecap to Sonic Adventure DX PC. MainMemory has been helping me as well. 

Re: Sonic Adventure Autodemo

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2013-06-14 21:33:03
Oh hey, it's a Glisp. Welcome back.

I laughed way too hard at the Chao Shredder. And at Amy crashing for every single reason, I guess that makes her completely useless (just like in the released version of the game. Zing!). And at the robot humping the tree.

So, some questions out of bored curiosity: Did the game freeze when the player went through the elevator void, or just fell for eternity? And what do the numbers mean from when the robot picked up the Chao?

Date: 2013-06-14 23:20:59

Oh hey, it's a Glisp. Welcome back.

I laughed way too hard at the Chao Shredder. And at Amy crashing for every single reason, I guess that makes her completely useless (just like in the released version of the game. Zing!). And at the robot humping the tree.

So, some questions out of bored curiosity: Did the game freeze when the player went through the elevator void, or just fell for eternity? And what do the numbers mean from when the robot picked up the Chao?

Okay for your first question:
Eternal falling. Yeah, you just keep falling. It happens in the final as well if you manage to some how get out of the stages' death zones, this includes Chao Gardens. I'm guessing in the autodemo, the level doesn't have any.

As for the second question:
E-102 Gamma's lock on system was locking on things it shouldn't. The numbers indicate how many targets he's locked on at once just like in the final. It seems his lock on system is a little buggy in the autodemo when dealing with Chao. In the final, it doesn't even bother to lock onto them or the little animals.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2013-06-14 23:48:43

As for the second question:
E-102 Gamma's lock on system was locking on things it shouldn't. The numbers indicate how many targets he's locked on at once just like in the final. It seems his lock on system is a little buggy in the autodemo when dealing with Chao. In the final, it doesn't even bother to lock onto them or the little animals.

I see. I've only played the Gamecube version up to about the final stage of Sonic's story, so I don't know who the robot is or that he does that normally. I thought it was some sort of debug mode-type thing. I take it the bordering boxes are supposed to be there too?

Date: 2013-06-14 23:49:26
Yes they are. 

Also, that PsychoJason guy has more autodemo videos:

Emerald Coast as Sonic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z_B4wNakRo
Also ignore the water thing where it looks like the water level's rising. It's an issue with the emulator he's using and not actually part of the game.

Final Egg as Sonic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylmk8BzzZPk
Features a duck enemy that was dropped from the final. presumably it doesn't have textures due to the auto demo's clusterfuck assets. It throws smaller ducks at you.

Speed Highway: At Dawn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcuZHuHWG0c

The stage features different objects and textures and some layout differences from the final. Many of which which are seen in old pre-release scans.