Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

rom extractor? - Page 1

rom extractor?

Posted by: PhantoMewtwo
Date: 2014-09-08 01:39:44
What is the best rom ´extractor´ available so i can easily rip or modify files in a GB/GBA/NDS rom just like a JAR or APK file?

Re: rom extractor?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-09-08 10:25:41

What is the best rom ´extractor´ available so i can easily rip or modify files in a GB/GBA/NDS rom just like a JAR or APK file?

ConsoleTool by Low Lines is a great tool for viewing files inside of Nintendo DS ROMs. If you want all the files on your computer, then you can unpack the ROM with DSLazy.

I think it may be a misnomer to say there are GB 'files' in the sense of an organized substructure of them. There isn't a neat way to 'unpack' everything, unless there is a game built like that. If you want graphics, you'd have to use a tool like Tile Molester and find them yourself, and they could be 'anywhere', and different games may not use the same graphic encoding. Please note that you'd have to assign the relevant palette or assemble the graphic yourself. Additionally, you can't get the Pokémon sprites this way. In Generation I (and Generation II I believe), they are compressed.

Games may have graphics that are just not viewable with Tile Molester, because graphics are just a collection of bytes; and for Game Boy games the developers may have to decide for themselves how to encode them.

I don't know how to rip Game Boy music other than with something like an emulator, GameShark/Game Genie or a sound test. I know of someone who does know. He may be able to help you. To extract Game Boy Advance game music, you can use SapTapper; however, it will not work for all games.

I hope this helps.