Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Cool 3DS Virtual Console Exploit. - Page 1

Cool 3DS Virtual Console Exploit.

Posted by: Kraust
Date: 2015-01-25 17:43:36
https://gbatemp.net/threads/injecting-roms-into-vc-with-only-the-web-browser-sure.379760/

This allows you to load (what I believe to be) almost any GB ROM right now. The problem is that the ROM loaded cannot be larger than the VC Title used to load it.

This allows you to develop GB Homebrew for the 3DS. I wrote up a small homebrew using gbdk and posted it in the thread.
I'm really interested in where this goes, and if anything comes from it (e.g. doing something similar to how Twitch broke into the SNES with the GBA Player during AGDQ.)

Re: Cool 3DS Virtual Console Exploit.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2015-01-26 08:59:20
Super Game Boy*

The Game Boy Player is for the GameCube, not the SNES.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2015-01-26 12:55:11

I'm really interested in where this goes, and if anything comes from it (e.g. doing something similar to how Twitch broke into the SNES with the GBA Player during AGDQ.)

No such luck. Note that you have to use an exploit to modify the address space of the VC emu in the first place…

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-01-28 16:44:42
This is interesting, but I don't find this as cool as this and this personally (based on Spider3DSTools for loading code; I don't know the specifics, and before this there was 'regionthree' that lets you run region locked games).

With these we can inject Pokémon into the boxes with nothing but a 3DS (which doesn't have to be a Japanese version) and an SD Card Reader with certain data, due to a web browser exploit that works on version 9.0-9.4 and there apparently being a server for executing the code that is already online.

We could theoretically start researching some Gen VI glitch Pokémon by editing an ekx file.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2015-01-29 04:38:19

We could theoretically start researching some Gen VI glitch Pokémon by editing an ekx file.

Didn't Game Freak already learn their lesson about error checking by Gen 5?

Date: 2015-01-29 06:51:16

Didn't Game Freak already learn their lesson about error checking by Gen 5?

Apparently there are things like invalid Pokémon being shown as Bulbasaur; having the loading mini-sprite, etc in Generation VI, but apparently they may not actually revert to Bulbasaur.

I don't even know if you can force glitch Pokémon beyond Egg/Bad Egg in Generation V but I don't see why that would be impossible. Long ago I think I tried it with the wild encounter code but the values looped around back to Bulbasaur after 651(?) However, maybe you could force one in the party with a modified PokéSav code.

I asked KazoWar to consider battling some glitch Pokémon in Omega Ruby. He apparently fought a hoard of 0, 722, 723, 724 and 725 and the game didn't freeze:

i did a test with ID numbers 0, 722, 723, 724, 725. and triggered a horde. i only had 1 pokemon appear. with deoxy's cry and bulbasaur model, loading party icon with a glitched out name. it said "a wild  appeared" but the health bar said Egg and which i caught it with a master ball it said Master ball was caught. it registered ni the pokedex as 001 bulbasausr but the summary screen said it was number 725. then i tried walkign in the grass to find another number and the game crashed to the home menu and my system had to be restarted.

The summary being 725, I imagine it definitely being a glitch Pokémon.

I assumed that there may have already been glitch Pokémon like this when I watched a Youtube video of a Wi-Fi battle with hacked Pokémon. There was a Bulbasaur called Heatran with the loading Pokémon sprite, and according to the author it came to them in Pokémon Amie "labelled as the Green Star Cube or somethin like that."

I think a video of these glitch Pokémon would be really interesting if we can get them without freezes.

Edit: Wack0 modified PKHeX to support invalid Pokémon.

Here it is. Unfortunately he got a freeze when he tried to make #715.

Date: 2015-01-31 06:03:05

This is interesting, but I don't find this as cool as this and this personally (based on Spider3DSTools for loading code; I don't know the specifics, and before this there was 'regionthree' that lets you run region locked games).

With these we can inject Pokémon into the boxes with nothing but a 3DS (which doesn't have to be a Japanese version) and an SD Card Reader with certain data, due to a web browser exploit that works on version 9.0-9.4 and there apparently being a server for executing the code that is already online.

Yes I've been looking into it for a few days now =P. It's very robust if you want to create real Pokemon but doesn't allow you to break as many things as I'd like to.

Posted by: Blaziken257
Date: 2015-03-03 09:30:59
So I've heard that the 3DS has a new firmware update that blocks the browser exploit, which means that you can't inject VC ROMs anymore, or edit save files in Pokémon. It's a really good thing that after several months of waiting, the Donkey Kong Land games finally came out on the North American Virtual Console less than a week ago, otherwise this would have really made me upset. (Though I will no longer be able to play the GBC version of DKL3 on my 3DS, since only Japan ever officially got that version.) Also, I'll miss being able to play Pokémon Red on it… I was playing the Japanese version of Red for a while, but oh well. I won't be able to play Telefang anymore after this update either, but that didn't work too well anyway due to the lack of an RTC. At least I was able to get the pictures in Super Mario Bros. Deluxe that are normally unobtainable on the 3DS due to lack of link cable/infrared support (some images of this can be found here).

I will also miss being able to edit save files, though I only did this barely anyway. I mainly got event Pokémon like Diancie, since there was apparently an event several months ago that I was unaware of, and I also got Hoopa and Volcanion… and I also got a ton of version-exclusive Mega Stones because I anticipated that I would come across someone who was missing them. Well, maybe someone will find another exploit one day…

In any case, I haven't actually updated my 3DS yet and won't do so unless there's a good reason to, such as if I want to get something from the eShop, or if there's another update that actually adds something useful. So I will be able to continue doing this stuff for the time being…

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2015-03-03 10:51:40
Just something interesting, but Sinstar_ injected Pokémon Red/Blue into his 3DS and he noticed that the emulator ran faster than Gambatte on a computer. Wonder what this can suggest…  :o

Date: 2015-03-03 11:09:24

Just something interesting, but Sinstar_ injected Pokémon Red/Blue into his 3DS and he noticed that the emulator ran faster than Gambatte on a computer. Wonder what this can suggest…  :o

Interesting.

If you recorded a run of Pokémon Red, Blue or Yellow (let's say a 151 catch 'em all run) from the game played on a Nintendo 3DS and got a new record should it be classed as valid? In one sense you're using an official emulator. In another sense Nintendo/Game Freak never intended the games to be released this way and there may be obscure bugs from the emulator.

I think such a run shouldn't be valid unless the Gen I games become official VC games.

Edit: Oh, and 3DS VC allows save states so you'd have to disable them.

By the way, I need to learn how to record from a TV, as I have a Game Boy Player. I could probably use it to record this Red/Green title screen/intro sprite glitch that occurs intermittently for some reason (seemingly on old cartridges). It happened to me too so G-Mizuka isn't the only one who experienced it.

Date: 2015-03-03 20:12:56
I want to point out that this was patched by Nintendo in their most recent Firmware Update (I don't follow the scene so I don't know which that is). If you want to use this exploit for fun (e.g. me) I wouldn't upgrade.

This probably affects people with a lot of 3DS games.