Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Emulating the Mobile Adapter GB - Page 3

Re: Emulating the Mobile Adapter GB

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2017-08-16 17:26:07
I wonder how awkward that MD5 implementation is…

Game Freak's parser bugs don't surprise me. An RCE vector here would allow for some interesting custom servers; however RCE via trades exists too, which would be the more dangerous, in my opinion, as any player could trigger it. I guess a custom server would have to somehow detect it (given this RCE vuln would be in the P2P communication with "phone numbers" etc).

And now I'm thinking about a server with its own partial GB emulator, MITMing the connection if it detects an RCE via trading, and specifically implementing GB Mobile Adapter emulation itself so the payload can get any further data… Saved off for further reversing/analysis of course.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-08-16 18:40:49
Maybe when Mobile Adapter GB emulation is finished, a patch should be distributed to modify the ROM to add some checking ?
Also, is there any chance to allow homebrew games to use the Adapter ? I know I'm getting ahead of everything, but…

Posted by: ajxpk
Date: 2017-08-17 06:50:48
Hey @Háčky. Finally I decided to register here. I'm following this project for quite a while now and I think it's great.
Even knowing that this is something for the future… how awesome it would actually be to see people battling and trading online on servers using the Japanese Crystal Version?

There's one thing I wanted to ask you about, is there any chance you might update the Python Script from last year to support the News System?
Possibly so that it downloads the so-called "First Issue" from the localized versions? I mean it's unlikely that we would be able to reconstruct what was actually distributed, even some of the later News have been documented by Kakeru… but there might be small details missing. I think with the "first issue" we are as close as we could get IMO.

Posted by: catsinabucket
Date: 2017-08-22 03:29:45
Hi!

Like ajxpk, I have also just registered here and have been watching this for a while.

I just wanted to ask, does the mobile link cable itself work much differently to a standard link cable? (Apologies if this has already been said)

I ask because I have seen a product that allows a Game Boy to interface with an Arduino board and the like via a link cable (https://www.tindie.com/products/Fchaos/gameboy-coloradvancesp-link-cable-breakout-board/?pt=full_prod_search), and I was wondering if it would be possible to use this to emulate the Mobile Adapter with physical hardware.

Thanks, and keep up the good work! Really excited to see where this will go :)

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-08-22 08:08:13
Think of the standard link cable like connecting two PCs via a Local Area Network, while the Mobile Adaptor GB is like connecting them via modem. Because that's literally what you're doing.

Posted by: ravioli
Date: 2017-09-03 16:05:22
What happened to this? How is your progress Hacky?

Posted by: wintiger0222
Date: 2017-10-30 05:55:28
[img]https://imgur.com/3tJAhBt.png[/img]
Well, I think there is no advancing at here, well.(Well, I think advance is not proper word, well)

I'm translating crystal into korean, and in the same time I tried to fix mobile functions.
(This is why there are no english at image)
Many Mobile Functions are worked well, and somethings are not.

I wrote some things ,with very very poor english grammer, that I have figured out.

mobile_5b.asm/Function16c000
Mobile protcol test when boot the game.

mobile_46.asm/Function11ac3e
Select Wanted pokemon at Pokecom mobile trade.(is this right name?)
Attached screen shot is works of this function.
Saddly, because of japanese name length limit, this cause crash.
To make this work You should change "ld a, $6" into "ld a, $B" (part of ".asm_11b2e7 ") and erase first "call Placestring" at "Function11b242" , then this would works at english version.

It looks like return the value that which pokemon chosen.

mobile_40.asm/Function101231
Mobile Trade by Dialing

This seems works perfectly even if using english version.
(I tested this with Hacky's python script)

mobile_40.asm/Function101225
Mobile Battle by Dialing

This also seems works, but I coulden't test this.

Date: 2017-11-01 17:36:27
How exactly are you trying to ''fix the mobile functions''?

Posted by: wintiger0222
Date: 2017-11-03 04:09:10

Well, I'm trying to make this stable.

This are what I'm doing or done now.
However, I'm doing this with making korean fan translation of crystal version, so the 'Translation' means korean.
But my korean fan translation is based on english version, so it would be able to adapt for english version.

And this is what I'm supposed to do.

Date: 2017-11-04 22:37:47

Well, I'm trying to make this stable.

[li]Replace PokeCom Center of Goldenrod City.[/li]
    [li]Enable SRAM Bank 4-7, which related to Mobile GB System.[/li]
    [li]Insert assembly code, related to mobile.[/li]
    [li]Figure out the purpose of dummied out mobile function.[/li]
    [li]Translate.[/li]

This are what I'm doing or done now.
However, I'm doing this with making korean fan translation of crystal version, so the 'Translation' means korean.
But my korean fan translation is based on english version, so it would be able to adapt for english version.

[li]Move pointer address which cause glitch(Most thing is player's name)[/li]
    [li]Make simulator of Mobile Adapter and private server(if it can)[/li]
    [li]Write script related to mobile event like GSball event[/li]
    [li]Apply these to enlgish version, if I have enough time.[/li]

And this is what I'm supposed to do.

That sounds awesome! If you want to work with me you can contact me on discord, I would love to help you out
https://discord.gg/vHwmNBY

Posted by: Team Fail
Date: 2017-12-14 22:13:26
I thought I'd join in the Discord channel, I'm thinking on attempting to emulate it via Arduino. I still need to get my hands on a breakout board, but I'd at least like to start porting over the Python script and see how far the game can get once I am able to hook the two together.

Posted by: ajxpk
Date: 2018-05-12 17:11:08
@Háčky I actually wanted to help with the research regarding the Pokemon News functionalities, but I couldn't get the Pokemon News working so far.
I know I'm just repeating myself but it would be cool if you could share the updated Python script with us, that would save me a lot of time…

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-04-02 16:01:39

I also found this peculiar run of text:

どまそぼ

まそぼね
mario@mario.ne.jp

つののにちびにき

kuppa@mario.ne.jp

つにのくと!くくはにてどのへGO!
GB
GAMER's Life
grave01@natird.ad.jp

のの7/147/20までのきできなくなま
くだ
GB
だな
ieve@makopi.ne.jp

くくく

p@p.ne.jp

To my knowledge, Bowser didnt play baseball until 2005 on the GameCube, and I still havent heard any news about this Pocket Monsters Moss

Shrek must be the legendary Pokèmon of Pokémon Moss. But in retrospect, this may be exactly what Missing Link/Nintendo intended; to include it as a silly joke.

While speculating, Moss sounds like an unspectacular name, but I suppose also moss could represent naivity/a gullible or overly impressionable fan because it soaks up water (water representing other things), much to the harm of itself.

Date: 2019-04-06 13:16:06
Edit: It seems my intuition may have been right. I looked up (koke) in a Japanese dictionary and the same reading but different kanji 仮 (means "fool").

Date: 2019-04-12 10:01:05
Yet another bump…

It seems like Shonumi, the author of GBE+ emulator has been working on support for the Mobile Adapter games, in addition to Game Boy/Color games with obscure features (since quite a long time ago now). The fruits of these can be found on their YouTube channel.

One of the games in their focus is Net de Get: Minigame @ 100; which as you may guess, allows you to download minigames from the Internet. Details about this game used to be uncommon, rikkyjp's website mentioned it as well as game directories like GameFAQs (originally under the false name "Net de Gate") but there seemed to be no videos on YouTube of it.

I made videos about this game a long time ago including some seemingly GameShark only stuff, but not how the server menu works. However, Shonumi released a video a few months ago that shows how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASn0DGsgpOs

I don't know if the minigame structure has been fully analyzed yet, however they did make a test 'game' that simply resets the game.

Apparently there is a Discord for Mobile Adapter stuff according to an article by Shonumi (this link is a great read by the way). Perhaps some of us could join it in an effort to reverse the other Mobile Adapter supported Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance games (originally documented by rikkyjp), but I don't know the link sadly.