Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Text dumping 'Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal' - Page 1

Text dumping 'Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal'

Posted by: ahiddenwaffle
Date: 2016-08-25 18:33:59
Hey, new here, have literally done nearly nothing with editing roms and stuff, so I figured I could start here. I'm interested in text dumping a popular bootleg Pokemon game 'Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal'. As the name suggests, It's a bootleg version of Pokemon Crystal. Except with terribly translated, and funny, text. For instance Pokemon are called ELFS. Totodile is 'CROC'. Exegguttor is 'NO', and Pidgey is 'LAP'. I was interested in text dumping this. Although the Pokemon Crystal 'Table thingy's' haven't worked… I'm all out of ideas… And thought this would be a good place to ask. 

Would give an IPS patch for it here, but not sure if that's allowed. :/

Re: Text dumping 'Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal'

Posted by: Háčky
Date: 2016-08-25 22:18:58
Theres an existing text dump, but if youre interested in poking around yourself, the character map starting from $80 is:

[tt]!%&()+,-./0123
456789:;=>?ABCDE
FGHIJKLMNOPQRSTU
VWXYZ???????????[/tt]

Everything from $B5 to $E2 is question marks (which is why most untranslated text is shown as mostly question marks, because that range covers most of the hiragana in the original character set); everything from $E3 to $FF is left as it was in the original game.

If you look through the text, youll see that a lot of strings were translated more than once; I was trying to catalogue these a while back until I stumbled into something more exciting.

Personally, my favorite piece of translation work is the text for Mobile Stadium Moveable Sport Field:

HERE CAN READ OUT
THE RENTIANTAN 64
SPECIAL SOFTWARE
THE DATA USED BY
ELF SPORT FIELD
GOLD AND SLIVER
S MOVEABLE SPORT
FIELD
DO YOU WANT TO
READ THEM OUT?

READING
OUT IS OVER
PLEASE PLAY
ELF SPORT FIELD
GOLD AND SLIVER
S MOVEABLE SPORT
FIELD

Posted by: ravioli
Date: 2016-08-26 23:26:34
[img]https://i.gyazo.com/e49d2634ac06d2f854807e1f1c6b1784.png[/img]

oh dear

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-08-27 11:51:09
I think these are pretty funny:
PONG
BEGIN
BROADCASTING\

HOW ARE YOU?
WHAT ARE YOU
DOING?
WHERE ARE YOU NOW?
HOW MANY BUDGES
HAVE BEEN
COLLECTED
HOW MANY SMALL
CHANGES HAVE
BEEN SAVED?
HOW IS YOUR MUM?
COLLECTING ELFS,
HOW MUCH?
TOO MANY
QUESTIONS
ARE TO BE ASKED.\

Budges are pretty good.
…PERHAPS THE
ELF RELIVED.

SHOPPING UNDER THE
SKY,FEELING GOOD\

PLAY AGAIN?\

DISTRIBUTE CARDS\

HIT!\

MISSED\

GIVE ME\

REGRET\

MOVING-FIGHTING
IS SELECT 3 ELFS
TO FIGHT EACH
OTHER.EACH
ONLY 10 MINUTES
IN FIGHTING
IF THERE IS NO
RESULT IN THE 10
MINUTES,THE
SIDE WHOSE
DYINY ELFS IS
LESS IS WON
IF THE AMMOUNT OF
DYING ELFS IS
THE SAME,
THE SIDE WHOSE
STRENGTH SUBSTRACT
LESS IS WON!\
LEFT 1 MINUTE
FIGHT OR NOT?\

LEFT NO TIME
TODAY,COME ON
TOMORROW\

LEFT NO TIME
TODAY!\

CAN'T COMMUNICATE
ANYMORE,TODAY\

And this one is placed right before the "ELF SPORT FIELD GOLD AND SLIVER MOVEABLE SPORT
FIELD"

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2016-08-27 15:48:43
[font=courier]I AM VERY DISGUSTED WITH THE TRASHY MAN. IN SPITE OF THE MONSTER, AND THE COACH, ONLY TRASHY, I WILL BEAT DOWN THEM ALL. FOR THIS I MUST STRENGTHEN MYSELF. THE MONSTER IS THE SAME TOO. COLLECT ALL THE TRASHY, RIGHTEOUS FELLOW ALL ARE UNPARDONABLE! YOU DON'T AFFECT ME. THE TRASHY STROLLING IS AN EYESORE![/font]

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2016-08-27 17:36:26

[font=courier]I AM VERY DISGUSTED WITH THE TRASHY MAN. IN SPITE OF THE MONSTER, AND THE COACH, ONLY TRASHY, I WILL BEAT DOWN THEM ALL. FOR THIS I MUST STRENGTHEN MYSELF. THE MONSTER IS THE SAME TOO. COLLECT ALL THE TRASHY, RIGHTEOUS FELLOW ALL ARE UNPARDONABLE! YOU DON'T AFFECT ME. THE TRASHY STROLLING IS AN EYESORE![/font]

[font=courier]HE WHO IS UNJUST IS DOOMED TO DESTRUCTION.[/font]

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2016-08-27 20:48:37

[font=courier]HE WHO IS UNJUST IS DOOMED TO DESTRUCTION.[/font]

[font=courier]GET ANGRY AS SOON AS THINKING THIS, YES, OUR LOVE MUST BECOME STRENGTH. [/font]